Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

kohls makes a jumping beans keen imitation that is pretty flexible.

dd2 was that age last year and wore skr, crocs and pedoodles. Nothing open-toed. DD1 is 6.5 and still doesnt wear open toe shoes. I just think its an accident waiting to happen for my clumsy kids

Uno-Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I was going to say Khols knock-offs!
    Also, try Nordstom Rack, if you have one. I was going to hit Kohls this spring but stopped there first. I found higher-end sandles with a softer finish than the Kohls ones, for cheaper!

Often bumbling mother to baby girl "Sprog"
    Born November, 2009

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    I am very anti-flip-flop ... and DD has to have closed-toe shoes for daycare.

She has a wide foot, so shopping for fisherman's sandals in the girls' department was a total bust. As was shopping for regular sandals that she might wear a couple of times with dresses at parties or whatever.

So ... I went to my beloved boys' section for things to try and we got two pair similar to these:

http://www.striderite.com/store/Site...ultOption=true

(And, no, I didn't pay $49 for them.)
    My DD wore these last summer. Sadly, they do not come in her size anymore. These were the absolute best IMO. I could not do fisherman sandals b/c summercamp does not allow full open heeled shoes. DD now wears orthodics so it's a full sneaker for her this summer.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    DD1 is 6.5 and still doesnt wear open toe shoes.

Re: Keens - this is our first year wearing Keens, and my DDs LOVE them - especially DD#2, who wears her lime green Keens with (essentially) everything .
    They also have Crocs, and white Stride Rite fisherman sandals that they wear for church/dress-up. At 18-24m, DD#1 wore Merrells (a mesh style) and white Nina mary
    janes (similar to the Stride Rite's twowhat? posted), and DD#2 wore Crocs (with fabric straps) and white Robeez Tredz fisherman sandals.
    Last edited by mommytoC; 05-11-2012 at 03:23 PM.
    A, mommytoC (DD#1, born 11/05)...and to K (DD#2, born 4/09)!

another vote for the Kohls Jellybeans knock-off Keens. DS1 wore them to death all last summer.... they finally blew out a couple of months ago just as he was growing out of them.
    DS1 2/2007
    DS2 10/2010

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalMommy View Post
    For the record, I have nothing against Keens. I know they are popular with this board, but was just curious if anyone had other brands or styles they like. I just cant afford them right now.

While I love flip flops for me, I think that might be a better style for when she is much older. With as much activity as she does, my sense is something like a keen or closed toe type sandal would offer her more protection.
    My 2 year-old lives in his Keens.

I totally get you on the not paying for the Keens. I bought his off Craigslist for $15 and it was in excellent condition. Plus it's machine washable.

In addition to the places that PPs have suggested for real Keens or knockoffs, you can also check a nearby consignment store (the one close to me in the Bay Area was selling Keens for ~18) or at online retailers, like Amazon or 6pm.com.

In my opinion, though, it is totally worth it. I may just pay full retail for them if I can't find a deal for them next summer because it's what he wears every single day for the last 2 months or so.
    Last edited by CaliMommy; 05-11-2012 at 05:32 PM.
    DS1 6/2010
    Twins DD and DS2 3/2013

Here's the Kohls Jumping Beans sandals:

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/zbra...rt+Sandals.jsp
    DS1 2/2007
    DS2 10/2010

Thanks! We have a Nordstrom Rack and Kohls nearby!

I will definitely check them out.

We loved fisherman sandals at that age, DD wore Stride Rites, DS wore See Kai Run - both were great! I actually do like sneakers in the summer, because when playing at the playground, it seems like bark mulch gets into every kind of sandal, even fishermans & Keens. I bought the Stride Rites with coupon codes at Shoebuy and got them for around $15 shipped each year.
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

I just bought these for DS. They were a little bit more than I wanted to pay but a less desperate shopper could probably wait for a better sale:

http://www.famousfootwear.com/Shoppi...976&pg=1019673

I'm really happy with them, they have the close toe, are water friendly and while they look they have a lot of rubber on them in the pic, they are actually super flexible/lightweight.
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3