Default Updated! Ikea toddler beds

UPDATE-
    I just got these put together at my parents beach house yesterday. They fit the long wall of the room (footboard to footboard) and my girls love them. Most important they fit on the beds and will have about 3 yrs in them. They are narrower than a regular toddler bed or twin, but they are the perfect length at 65". I chose the Kritter in white and they were even easy to setup. Thanks for your help!

What would be te maximum age/size child to fit in a toddler bed? I'm thinking of getting two for my girls to keep in our bedroom at my parents' summer house. They're currently sleeping on a full size inflatable matress and it stinks since it takes up half the room. We can't fit a full size bed since we already have a queen and a pack n play. Is it pointless since they're almost 4 and both are around 41"? Would we get at least 2yrs in these beds?
    Last edited by AJP; 07-28-2012 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Update

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AJP View Post
    What would be te maximum age/size child to fit in a toddler bed? I'm thinking of getting two for my girls to keep in our bedroom at my parents' summer house. They're currently sleeping on a full size inflatable matress and it stinks since it takes up half the room. We can't fit a full size bed since we already have a queen and a pack n play. Is it pointless since they're almost 4 and both are around 41"? Would we get at least 2yrs in these beds?
    Rather than a pair of toddler beds, I'd recommend an extendible bed like the MINNEN so it could last longer than the 2 years you need:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19827958/

The biggest drawback is the width of the mattress in the short position - it's the length of a crib/toddler mattress but as wide as a twin bed.

IDK that I would lean towards toddler beds at 4 y/o unless your kids are petite. My nieces, at almost 10 and 7.5, are still small enough to sleep comfortably in toddler beds (though it's probably a bit of a stretch for the 10 y/o) but their mom is petite, too, so I don't really think they will be very tall once they reach their full heights either.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

mikeys_mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have the Mammut toddler bed and by 4 both of my older kids were itching to get out of it. It's pretty narrow.
    DS - 10
    DD - 8
    Twin Girls - 6

Is a toddler bed the same size as a crib? I know two toddler beds would fit, but I'll have to measure the room this weekend for those extendable beds. They may just be too wide. My cousin is giving us two of her pottery barn fold out anywhere loungers. These will do for now, but I don't think they will want to sleep in them once the novelty wears off!

Toddler beds are the same size as cribs. What about something like the ikea daybed that is a twin and pulls out to fit two twin mattresses?. Then it would only be taking up that much space at night.

Catherine

mikeys_mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Ikea toddler beds are not the same size as cribs. I know my crib sheets don't fit on the mattress. I measured and the mattress is 28x61 inches. Don't have a crib one around to measure but I'm pretty sure the toddler bed is narrower and wider.
    DS - 10
    DD - 8
    Twin Girls - 6

Quote Originally Posted by mikeys_mom View Post
    Ikea toddler beds are not the same size as cribs. I know my crib sheets don't fit on the mattress. I measured and the mattress is 28x61 inches. Don't have a crib one around to measure but I'm pretty sure the toddler bed is narrower and wider.
    I stand corrected then.

Catherine

We have an Ikea crib and an Ikea toddler bed. They aren't the same size. I haven't measured but I agree that the toddler bed is narrower and longer. My DS1 is taller than your DDs, OP, and I expect him to easily get two more years out of the toddler bed. He slept in an ikea crib converted to a toddler bed last year and had almost outgrown the length.
    Last edited by Multimama; 07-19-2012 at 09:49 PM.

I was just coming to post that I found out the Ikea "little beds" are longer than a regular toddler bed, but some of you have already chimed in! I am going to measure my space in the morning and decide. I did stick one of my dd's in the crib and she fit, but would outgrow that sized toddler bed by next year for sure. I was just at Ikea the other day, but didn't have my DC with me to test anything out. I'd love to just bring them, but don't want to manage 3 alone after an hour drive there. Thanks for the advice and opinions!

Beds are in! Updated original post.