maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Child BMI scale vs. growth chart *long*

I'll really try not to ramble. But at the crux of all this is: Does the BMI calculator at About.com Pediatrics differ at all from the regular growth chart that most ped's follow? Here's why I'm asking.

This morning I weighed the girls. Dora weighs 39+ lbs, Arwyn 36.82, Laurel 31.9. Both Arwyn and Laurel seemed to have put on a lot of weight so I decided to calculate their BMI. The calculator takes the child's age, gender, height and weight. Laurel's BMI came out in the 91st percentile, Arwyn's the 75th. of greater concern is Laurel's because according to the website 91st percentile is classified as risk for being overweight. Arwyn's is under the 85th percentile, so she is classified as being a healthy weight. But I am stunned nonetheless, because both Dora and Arwyn have always been at the bottom of the growth chart. However, I remember when Dora was 4.5yo before she got to maybe 32 lbs. Laurel's always been heavier, but yikes! Originally I've been watching her weight because I didn't want her to sit rfing past the limits of her MA. But now this 91st percentile number has sort of pushed everything to back burner.

In looking at all 3 girls' body structure and how their clothes fit, it's obvious to me that Dora has a much smaller build than the other two. Both Arwyn and Laurel are thicker in the chest area, and when you look at their backs while they are exerting, you can see rippling. Also Laurel has much bigger, wider feet than the other two, so I am assuming that her whole skeleton is just, thicker?

I have been also reflecting on eating preferences. Laurel loves starchy sweet foods. She's pretty much the only ones that eats my baking. She also loves ice cream, candy, basically anything with sugar so I have to dole it out very carefully and set clear limits. They don't get any candy except during certain holidays, and ice cream is usually 2 tbsp worth in a cone. Still, I think it's time to cut out the baking and start offering veggie sticks with cheese or something for snacks because she is always saying, "I'm hungry" in between meals, then not wanting much dinner (she eats very well for breakfast and moderately for lunch).

So a followup question is, do any of you have kids that seemed much heaver during the earlier years, then thinned out as they got older?
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

jjordan is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think BMI is useful as an overall measurement of health, for example the BMI data about 100 kids is useful in classifying the health of the group. However there will always be individual cases where BMI is not at all useful. It is one tool of many. If seems like it's contradicting the other information that you have, then ignore it. If, however, it is opening your eyes to other information that could be indicating the beginnings of a problem, then by all means, take advantage and do what you can to change things.

It is actually healthier to eat larger quantites earlier in the day and taper off as the day goes on, so I wouldn't be concerned about the large breakfast, moderate lunch, small dinner. I think it is a great idea to have veggies for snacks and that sort of thing. But I personally wouldn't do more than that, and I wouldn't worry.

Only as an observer, I've seen a child who was really cylindrical as a preschooler get slimmer every year since then. She's a second grader and now looks a little skinnier than average, but she was just a sausage when she was younger. It didn't help that she basically lived in a too-small spandex leotard. Her body type has definitely changed.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by maestramommy View Post
    I have been also reflecting on eating preferences. Laurel loves starchy sweet foods. She's pretty much the only ones that eats my baking. She also loves ice cream, candy, basically anything with sugar so I have to dole it out very carefully and set clear limits. They don't get any candy except during certain holidays, and ice cream is usually 2 tbsp worth in a cone. Still, I think it's time to cut out the baking and start offering veggie sticks with cheese or something for snacks because she is always saying, "I'm hungry" in between meals, then not wanting much dinner (she eats very well for breakfast and moderately for lunch).
    I have no comment on the weight, just on the food preferences. I would cut down on the grain-based carbs offered and make sure she is offered adequate protein and healthy fats to help her stay full instead. Her hunger cues shouldn't be ignored, BUT it is important to know that for some people eating grain-based carbs/sweets actually makes them hungrier than not eating anything at all (brittone2 has posted about her experience with this). If Laurel is predisposed to process grains/sugars in this way, then she may genuinely be feeling hungry b/c she's eating fodos that stimulate her hunger. If she is given proteins/fats/fruits/vegetables to eat instead she may find herself satiated.

So I would say be mindful of what you offer in the home to eat to everyone (speaking as someone who has moved our whole family toward paleo/primal eating over the past two months and has found it to also promote the kids' having better eating habits in general - DS now eats more vegetables and meats without complaining vs. before when he had more grains/sugars that made his taste buds dulled for the healthier stuff).

For myself, I can only say HOW GOOD I FEEL when I have zero grains in my diet so I have no reason to bring them back into our home on a regular basis.

ETA: I want to distinguish between grains and carbs b/c many people think they are one and the same. There are many other sources of carbohydrates (which are necessary for our bodies to function well and be adequately nourished) besides grains. Fruits and vegetables, including starchy vegetables, as well as dairy can all be sources of carbohydrates as can seeds/nuts. I easily get 150-200g of carbohydrates per day in my diet (I did a pregnancy food diary so I tracked it) and that is with zero grain intake .
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)