ahisma is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Teachers - merit pay?

What does merit pay represent in your district? I know that it's district specific, I'm wondering what the range is.

In DH's district it's $30. Annually.

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ahisma View Post

In DH's district it's $30. Annually.
    How could that possibly be effective incentive? You're a great teacher so here's $30 and try not to spend it all in one place! Um, ok.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

Quote Originally Posted by kijip View Post
    How could that possibly be effective incentive? You're a great teacher so here's $30 and try not to spend it all in one place! Um, ok.
    That's just silly. I have no idea what it is (or if it exists) where I live. But in DC it's on a scale, and can be pretty significant. It's a controversial system, and not all teachers except their bonuses.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...bYK_story.html
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

swrc00 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I teach outside of Atlanta and there is not merit pay. I have also worked in two districts in VA and they didn't have it there either.

zag95 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I teach in Oregon. In my district no merit pay. So you're saying $30 for the year? Gee, that isn't even a nice dinner out.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I don't even know if our district offers merit pay. I didn't know it even existed, but the example you posted makes me think that if most of them are set up for $30, that's pretty lame.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    I don't even know if our district offers merit pay. I didn't know it even existed, but the example you posted makes me think that if most of them are set up for $30, that's pretty lame.
    $30 maybe lame, but it is better than nothing! Right? Besides how much more do they raise the prop taxes to cover that fund that is paying merit pay?

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by FLYAND View Post
    $30 maybe lame, but it is better than nothing! Right?
    Actually, I don't think it is better. It sends the message that earning merit pay isn't really a big deal and is not something people need to bother about. I don't think any teachers on this board would need an incentive of merit pay to be a good teacher or work hard, but I have had more than a couple of not so great teachers over the years and there is no way $30 would get them to think about ways to earn merit pay. A laughably low amount is not the spirit of what merit pay is supposedly about- rewarding outstanding teachers. I think it would be better not to use merit pay at all if it is not something that can been taken seriously. Also handing an outstanding teacher $30 is an insult to all it takes the be an outstanding teacher. It's like working really hard for an A only to find out the dude who did not work very hard and wrote a so-so paper got an A-. Why bother?
    Last edited by kijip; 05-13-2012 at 04:53 PM.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

Quote Originally Posted by FLYAND View Post
    $30 maybe lame, but it is better than nothing! Right?
    No, actually it's not. Teachers here are required to have a Master's Degree. $30 in "merit pay" is insulting. I couldn't take my family to see a movie for $30.
    Green Tea, mom to three

ahisma is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DH has a Masters degree, plus 30 grad credits beyond that degree. He spent last summer taking classes re: the common core curriculum and stays after school for meetings (not in the contract, therefore not reflected in his salary) until 7-9 pm at least weekly, often requiring us to pay a babysitter. Some weeks, like this past week, he's at the school three evenings.

So yeah, $30 was pretty much a slap in the face. A heartfelt thank you (which did come in the form of a glowing review in his evaluation) without the monetary aspect would have been much better This puts a dollar value on his work - of $30. Ouch. That doesn't even cover our childcare costs for ONE of the voluntary meetings that he attends.