twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Vitamix, picky eater, worth it?

My DD1, who is an extremely picky eater (she doesn't eat whole fruit, at all) actually downed a green smoothie at Costco at the Vitamix demo. I even told her what it had in it (spinach, pineapple, and some other fruits). She will occassionally eat fruit if I make smoothies at home with our old blender (which does still work). Oh, I thought of one fruit she will eat: avocado. LOL.

I'm wondering if a Vitamix is worth it.

I don't want to always be making food for DD1, BUT - she is so extremely picky that I am wondering whether it would be worth caving on at least this aspect since I already make smoothies for the family. It would get fruits AND veggies into her (neither of which she eats). I would have her help me make them, so she will see what goes into it. I'm wondering if this could act as a transition step to getting her to eat the actual fruits and veggies.

I guess this says I'm starting to get kind of desperate here, since she eats NO fruit unless it's in a smoothie. Not even the ones that kids typically love, like bananas, strawberries. She will not touch it, not even at daycare (and the teachers have remarked on it - it concerns them too because sometimes the snack IS a banana, for example). I don't make smoothies all that often right now because it's kind of a lot of work (traditional blender - blend, stir, blend, stir, etc).

Thoughts?? I'd still plow forward with the whole putting tiny amounts of fruits and veggies on her plate (size of 3 peas approach) but I'm really concerned that all she eats is meat, cheese, and carbs. What's amazing is that she's never constipated whereas DD2, who does eat fruits/veggies, has been on Miralax long-term!

eta: oops...mods please feel free to move to kid food!

Yes!!! It's been great for my picky ds!!!!
    mommy to the loves of my life ds (Oct. 2008) and dd (Aug. 2011)

Definitely worth it imo! Sometimes it isn't the taste of a food that a kid doesn't like, it is the texture. For us, it has meant that we now have kids who have veggies and protein. Their diet is way more rounded!!!!
    All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
    ~Abraham Lincoln~

My 3.5 yo is the pickiest kid I've ever known didn't have some sort of diagnosis. Won't eat most fruit, gags on on veggies, has textural issues and won't eat things that have sauces or several ingredients, etc. I got a vitamix a few months ago desperate to get veggies into her some how and I'm still shocked it worked. She will drink a green smoothie daily. I load it up with spinach and frozen fruit and she drinks it like a treat. I blend up all sorts of fruits with yogurt and she eats this too. I feel so much better about her nutrition now. Plus now I'm drinking green smoothies regularly also.
    D, married to B, momma to DD1 (7/08) and DD2 (8/10)

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

OK I'm convinced At the very least it'll make me feel better about what is going into her body. Costco has them right now so I think I'll bite the bullet.

Thanks!!

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Of course, now I'm seeing the new one on W-S's website...shorter, quieter...and more expensive... and I totally want one.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I think they are worth it, but we still haven't been able to afford one. I would totally get one if I could. I worked at a smoothie shop that used them and they are fantastic. I hope it helps!

emily is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We got ours two weeks ago at Costco. Our DD and DS won't drink a smoothie everyday but I do think it's been worth it. Theyll drink half a cup every other day or so. But its better than nothing. With three young children, I've been finding it difficult to get my dAily fruits and veggies in. At least wih a green smoothie daily, I feel like my diet isn't completely lacking. Same for DH. Yes, a regular will do the job but I feel more pressured to use it just due to the cost.

Yep it's worth it. I just made a smoothie this morning with spinach, fruit, dates and flax seed and my sons gobbled it up!

lovin2shop is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Agreed, I love it and my very picky DS is quite intrigued with it. We'll stop and watch the demo's at Costco sometimes to get more ideas. He loves having frozen fruit "ice cream" now, and it is seen as quite a treat in my house!