mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Crib Tent Recall

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml12/12179.html

I think there was talk about this coming. I remember the play yard recall a couple years ago and it does seem like most of the injuries were associated with that. I can't imagine how the tent can "invert" but I guess if a child hangs on one of the rods maybe it would do it. It says there were 3 injuries with the crib tent but then the one it talks about being serious says it was a play yard tent injury. The crib tent was a great product for my DC, keeping them both in their cribs and sleeping well much longer than I would have been able to without it. I always felt it was really safe but then again I know I had it installed correctly.

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ugh. So is everyone taking theirs off now? :/
    DD
    DS

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I don't know what I'm going to do. DD is 3 and is still happy in her crib but I don't know how happy she will be in there without the tent. It is her cozy fort. I wish they would give you more information, like how big the kids were that got hurt & whether or not the tent was installed correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    I don't know what I'm going to do. DD is 3 and is still happy in her crib but I don't know how happy she will be in there without the tent. It is her cozy fort. I wish they would give you more information, like how big the kids were that got hurt & whether or not the tent was installed correctly.
    DS1-1/09
    DS2-10/12

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I agree that the recall information is very confusing!

I too had a crib tent on our CRIB for DS and it was a lifesaver.

I am trying to figure out about how it gets inverted.

I understand better how it happens on a play yard/pack n play but less so about the issues on a crib.

Again, it's hard to tell if it's an installation/misuse issue like the BUMBO recall/fiasco.

I think the recall is for the Tots in Mind brand (are there other brands).

I think it's something that you use your best judgement on, lots of people continued to use their dropside cribs after they were recalled .

My crib tent took quite a bit of abuse from DS, we had it installed with some modifications as the backside of our crib was solid (we put a curtain rod along the back to give us something to attach to, and then securely attached the velcro to the rod.) DS pull on his a few time, played with the zipper (we ended up safety pinning the zipper shut in the end!)

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

FYI, I returned mine to Walmart this morning. It took them a bit to figure out what to do since I was the first return at the store but it was no big deal and I got $54 in cash. My crib tent was manufactured in 2004 and definitely not new. So take yours to walmart!
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

Thanks, I had one I ordered online from Walmart.com, and their online customer service says I can't return it for a refund since it's outside of the return period. I may try an in-store return instead.

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You can because of the recall. They will take it back- mine was 8 years old and clearly NOT new.
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

AshleyAnn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

NOOOOOOOO! I love love love my crib tent and so does DD. I am going to have to think about it but my inital thoughts are I'm going to leave my tent up. I imagine these children were attempting to escape, I do not use DD's like a cage so I am going to tell myself the risk of this happening to us is low.