boltfam is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Please help me figure out car seat configuration!

DS is 4.5 yo and is in an Evenflo Maestro and DD is 2 yo and in a MA, RF. Baby #3 is due in August and will be in a Chicco Keyfit. We have a Toyota Sienna with the 8 passenger option - 3 seats across in middle (middle seat can come out)and bench in back.

DS does not yet buckle himself, so I don't know if I want him all the way in the back, but I can't very well lift the infant seat into the middle. I also don't really want DD and DS right next to each other b/c I think they will fight like cats and dogs.

Any suggestions?

Maybe in four months he can buckle himself...?
    Maybe, though, take out one of the captain's chairs and put him in the third row in front of that empty spot, so you can pretty much get all the way in to snap the infant seat and get everyone buckled? I'm sure someone can describe that better. What's your school/activity situation going to be next fall? Might have to take that into consideration too (pickup line? which side will you have easiest access to? etc).
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I'd agree and take out the captain's chair. I did that and it was easy to buckle in the 3rd row kids and have 1 kid in the 2nd row. Plus, you can buckle everyone from one side of the car.

That said, DS2 was in the middle for quite a while as a baby in a Malibu. I'd just set the infant seat on another seat and then slide it into the base. Not ideal, but not terrible either.
    Kris

boltfam is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Joolsplus2 View Post
    Maybe in four months he can buckle himself...?
    Maybe, though, take out one of the captain's chairs and put him in the third row in front of that empty spot, so you can pretty much get all the way in to snap the infant seat and get everyone buckled? I'm sure someone can describe that better. What's your school/activity situation going to be next fall? Might have to take that into consideration too (pickup line? which side will you have easiest access to? etc).
    Thanks for your reply. So, you think it's possible to teach him to buckle himself at this age? I thought maybe he might be too young, but you're the expert.

Were you thinking to take the middle seat out or take out one of the side captain's chairs?

Unfortunately, I don't know what the school situation looks like. We might do busing. If not, I'll have to walk him in, which means I would have to get all three children out of their seats. Fun, fun. That's why I'm hoping to convince DH to do busing.