Default which car seat for my BIG boy?

I am currently using the First Years True Fit seat for my son but he barely fits in it any more. I am barely able to buckle the straps any more. He just turned 3 years old and he is 42 inches tall and 55lbs. I know The specs say that is goes up to 65 lbs. but this seat will not work for us any longer. I must say that I have enjoyed how easy it is to adjust the straps and the ease of install, I wish I could use it longer, but I cant.
    What seat would you recommend I switch him to? I was thinking maybe the Britax Frontier 85. Would this be my best choice or are there better (less expensive) options for a large kid. I prefer to keep him harnessed for a while longer. My car is a Mazda 5.

Yeah, that seat has a huge shell, but a pretty small harness area, so to speak. Especially for such a big guy . The Frontier has three crotch settings, the farthest out is really far out, and the harness has very long straps, it's probably the best choice. I'd look for a sale, that takes the sting out of the price (msrp is 299, but often you can find them for closer to 200)...not to mention it makes a really nice wide/tall booster for years to come, so you'll get a lot of use out of it (kids should be boostered till at least four foot 9 but closer to 5 feet in some cars, and it fits most kids till that size comfortably)
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Also, the frontier fits in the mazda5 like it was made for it! I can get it rock solid long belt path installed in under 5 minutes, both 2nd and 3rd rows.

Thanks for the very helpful replies, I will be keeping an eye out for a good deal on the Frontier 85 ( I will need two of them).

I also need help choosing a seat for the inlaws cars ( I will need 2 more). These need to also fit my large boy comfortably and be easy to install/uninstall quickly. These seats will not be used very often but of course I want him to always be in a good safe seat. Since I will be needing to buy four seats total, the two for the inlaws car needs to be much less expensive than the Frontier 85.

Might try the Evenflo Secure Kid, it has a fairly deep seating area and will become a booster later (it has a 65 pound harness limit, I was going to recommend the Maestro, but it's only 50lbs. Hopefully you can score a bargain on the SK since it's MSRP is almost 150, Maestro is only 79, which is why I thought of it first)
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

My TrueFit also says that it goes up to 65lbs. Do you know if the harness straps on the secure kid are longer?