Default PB Kids furniture... are they really that bad???

I've had my eyes on the Catalina crib and collection from PB Kids even before I was pregnant. Of course, to my surprise, the baby bargain review gave it a C rating.
    I've been a on a crib hunt since but have not found anything to my liking.
    Anyone out there have furniture from PB Kids? Are they really that bad?

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have the Catalina crib for DD, as well as the dresser and the tall bookshelf for DD's room. I haven't had any problems with it. Sure there are some parts on the crib that have chipped paint from when DD has gnawed on them, but you will get that with any crib if your baby is a gnawer (DS's crib is not PBK, is from Munire, which Baby Bargains gave an A rating..and that crib has MAJOR teeth marks!!) Actually the Catalina crib comes with a rail protector for one side and that side of course looks great, but the ends are the ones where DD sinks her teeth in!

I also have the PBK Madison changing table organizer in DS's room (that was something i dreamed about even before i was pregnant! LOL) and that has held up SO well. there is no paint chipping or major scratches or anything, and DS is 2.5.

I agree that many PBK things, including furniture, are overpriced. however, i found that Catalina crib to be pretty good and not even that expensive (around $400). Around here most cribs, even not PBK ones are $600+ and aren't that great.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 08-21-2012 at 10:53 PM.

I can't speak for the cribs but I have one of the white painted storage systems that has the 4 cubbies above and a drawer below. While I love the look of it and most PBK stuff, I can honestly say it is junk! The paint has chipped all over and it isn't even wood. I believe it is MDF. I got a good deal on it and it works for our situation but I don't think I would ever buy PBK or PB furniture again.

I have the PBK Corner Bookshelf and love it. It certainly doesn't get heavy use like a crib would, but so far it's held up perfectly. It was my splurge for the nursery as I was given all the other furniture. While it was expensive, I couldn't fine any other corner bookshelves cheaper. I also have the end table that is shaped like a flower and think its great. No issues within scratches/wear yet, but DD is only 10 months old. I intend on keeping both pieces for a long time.

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We have had 2 PBK cribs (both Kendall) along with a twin bed (can't remember the name- got it at the outlet) and set of kids table/chairs (can't remember that one either!). We have been very happy with all of them - so far they have all held up well and we haven't had any issues. They are all somewhere between 2-4 years old.