Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default WWYD: Make the cupcakes at home or buy them at the store?

DS1's last day of school is next Friday, and I volunteered to bring cupcakes to celebrate. I was all set to make some cute little banana split cupcakes I found online and already bought the ingredients for them. I even sent out an email to the entire class, asking about food allergies and cross-contamination issues, because I wanted to make sure I didn't use any ingredients that might make someone sick. A couple people responded that their kids have nut allergies, but that they were OK with the "may be processed" labels. Fine. The recipe doesn't call for any nuts.

Yesterday, I was talking to a couple moms in the class, and they told me that the teacher really, really prefers all food bought into the classroom to be store-bought. It's not a school policy, as other teachers allow homemade food to be brought on campus (just last night, the school had a huge Multicultural Fair with TONS of homemade food all over the grounds). Just this particular teacher's preference. I didn't know this, as we just moved here a couple months ago, and nothing was ever said to me. No one said anything when I sent out my email. The other moms said I should just feign ignorance.

I really want to make my cute cupcakes, and it's the last day of school. I'm normally a very "follow the rules" type person, but for some reason, I'm feeling rebellious. Maybe because it's not even school policy? I just want to make my cupcakes! Someone tell me it's OK to make my cupcakes!

(Though I think I have an idea what you level-headed BBBers are going to tell me....)
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

swrc00 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I think the teacher would have told you if she wanted them to be store bought or at least made that clear to you when you moved. Since you have already bought the ingredients and talked to parents I would make them.

infocrazy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

You should make the cupcakes.
    Jen

DS in X-Small 7/12, Medium 5/07, and Large 7/05, one DD 3/10, and our DS 4/09 watching over us.

Quote Originally Posted by swrc00 View Post
    I think the teacher would have told you if she wanted them to be store bought or at least made that clear to you when you moved. Since you have already bought the ingredients and talked to parents I would make them.

As a mom with a FA kid, I would really appreciate you going out of your way to check and since you did, I think you should go ahead and make them.

Weird that the teacher didn't say anything you. I get that she might prefer it, but it isn't a rule. If her concern is FA's, you covered that. If FA's are her concern, maybe consider including a list of the ingredients and a copy of your email. I always send a list of the ingredients when I make homemade food because I know several other kids in DS' class have FA's.
    --------
    DS - Adopted by loving parents 1995
    DS1 7/2009 ('Stachio)
    DS2 9/2011 (Peanut)

wendmatt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

She didn't tell you, it's not school policy, make the cute cupcakes and have fun! So nice of you to check with parents, I'm sure everyone would prefer something special and fresh like that than store bought.

Definitely make them. You're hearing 2nd-hand information from the other Moms. They may have learned through their own experiences, but the teacher never told you directly, never gave you any "in my classroom XYZ..." policy sheet when you started a few months ago, etc.

Particularly since it's not school policy, I think you are completely fine.

Have fun with them - sounds so cute!
    Sarah

DS1 8/2010
    DS2 11/2012

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by infocrazy View Post
    You should make the cupcakes.

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think it's fine to make the cupcakes. Please post of picture of the cupcakes. They sound cute!

Quote Originally Posted by BabbyO View Post

As a mom with a FA kid, I would really appreciate you going out of your way to check and since you did, I think you should go ahead and make them.

Weird that the teacher didn't say anything you. I get that she might prefer it, but it isn't a rule. If her concern is FA's, you covered that. If FA's are her concern, maybe consider including a list of the ingredients and a copy of your email. I always send a list of the ingredients when I make homemade food because I know several other kids in DS' class have FA's.
    except I never make anything from scratch because I lack the skill, patience, and time! I would LOVE homemade cupcakes. You're awesome!

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I'd make them. They sound cute and the ingredients will likely be better than store bought.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast