Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Ipad vs. Ipod touch

Let me preface this by saying I'm not an Apple person... despite the cute commercials, I'm proud to say "I'm a PC"...

In any case, my mother is feeling very generous (and despite my statement that such a present would be excessive, too extravagant, not necessary), and she is insisting on getting my son an IPad for his 4th birthday ("so he can play educational games and learn a lot")...

Way TOO expensive of a present for my son at this age (at least by my standards)... but she insists, so I'm trying to figure out what the difference between and IPad and an IPod Touch...

I went to the apple website, but I still don't get the fundamental difference after reviewing the features each one offers...

Also, I know there are other tablets out there... one made by Vizio (saw this at Costco) and the Kindle Fire (gotta love amazon)... there's also some by samsung (same as my phone, no, I don't have an IPhone either)... can't he still play educational games on these tablets... I'm trying to talk my mom down, but if she insists, I'm trying to help her find something that is not so expensive...

Any advice/information you can offer would be great!

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I let my 4 year old play on my ipod Touch VERY occasionally but I'm not willing for him to have one of his own yet. The ipad MIGHT be easier for him to use. But wow...

ipod Touch is smaller. But has quite a few games for kids on it (Though most of what my son plays is my Pocket Frogs game. He likes to jump around thepond with my froggies and I let him)

ipad is a much bigger footprint. I know you can watch videos on the ipad. never heard of folk doing that on the ipod Touch.
    Last edited by vonfirmath; 05-31-2012 at 05:45 PM.
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The major difference is definitely size.

iPad = tablet
    iTouch = iPhone, without phone capabilities.

iPad has 3G option, although that costs more upfront and there is a monthly cost. You can opt for just wifi though.

Don't believe there is a 3G option for the iTouch.

I have both. I think he'd get more benefit from an iPad, but would need to be supervised. With both, definitely buy the $99 AppleCare plan, especially for a 4 year old.

We watch videos all the time on iPod touches. I think for your purposes that would be the way to go. Smaller, easier for little hands to hold and much less expensive.

Would also def stick with apple for the gazillion kids apps.

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

No experience w/ the Ipod Touch (or any other Ipod for that matter!). I'm not a techy person at all. A friend of mine is though, and his 5 yr. old loves playing games and watching movies on his Ipad. I think I would be afraid to let my kids handle an Ipad though since its so pricey! My 5 yr. old frequently drops her Leap Pad but its meant to withstand abuse and so far no problems!

If she wants to get him a learning tablet and your worried about the young age, maybe the Leap Pad would be a good option? Not as pricey but still educational and entertaining, and is made to take abuse if its dropped, etc. Just a warning though, a lot of the games and apps seem kinda pricey, especially if he wants all the character licensed ones (most of the popular character ones are $20-$25 each). But there are other learning games, flash cards, books, videos, etc. that are $5-$10 each. My 5 yr. old got hers for Christmas from my aunt and so far we have 2 cartridge games that I bought used at a discount, it came with 4 apps, I found codes for 2 free apps, and I think we bought 2 other cheap apps, and that is enough to entertain her for awhile I think.
    Last edited by ang79; 05-31-2012 at 07:01 PM.

BayGirl2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ahisma View Post
    The major difference is definitely size.

iPad = tablet
    iTouch = iPhone, without phone capabilities.

iPad has 3G option, although that costs more upfront and there is a monthly cost. You can opt for just wifi though.

Don't believe there is a 3G option for the iTouch.

I have both. I think he'd get more benefit from an iPad, but would need to be supervised. With both, definitely buy the $99 AppleCare plan, especially for a 4 year old.
    The bold is essentially the difference. There's no iPod Touch with 3G because that would make it an iPhone.

I would go with an iPad if cost is not an issue. I find the larger screen much more appropriate for games and videos. The iPad versions of kid's apps tend to have better graphics and features than the iPhone/Touch versions.

I'd only go with a Touch if it needs to be very mobile, like kept in a pocket. In fact, I think the larger size of an iPad makes it less prone to dropping and being thrown around or secretly used without your knowledge.
    Amy

DS - June 2009
    DD - September 2011

codex57 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I say thank your mother for her gift.

Can other tablets play educational games? Sure.

What's the difference? Quality of the games/apps. With the cheaper ones, you'll feel like a waste of money. With the iPad, it'll actually feel useful beyond a month or two.

We've got various LeapPad and Vtech tablets and sorta tablet things. Kids used it a bit. They're constantly playing educational apps on the iPad. It is night and day.

Touch is fine, but like BayGirl said, I think the iPad is actually more practical and easier to keep track of. We have a Touch too. Never used (they don't really touch our iPhones anymore either). Screen size is a big part of it.

As a comparison, if you needed something to take your kids to school, the other stuff would be a skateboard. You could stack your kids on it and push them to school. Gets old quick. Touch would be a subcompact 2-door coupe. Doable. Liveable. Real cramped though. iPad is like a minivan. Ahhh, luxurious space.

BayGirl2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by codex57 View Post

What's the difference? Quality of the games/apps. With the cheaper ones, you'll feel like a waste of money. With the iPad, it'll actually feel useful beyond a month or two.

We've got various LeapPad and Vtech tablets and sorta tablet things. Kids used it a bit. They're constantly playing educational apps on the iPad. It is night and day.

Touch is fine, but like BayGirl said, I think the iPad is actually more practical and easier to keep track of. We have a Touch too. Never used (they don't really touch our iPhones anymore either). Screen size is a big part of it.

As a comparison, if you needed something to take your kids to school, the other stuff would be a skateboard. You could stack your kids on it and push them to school. Gets old quick. Touch would be a subcompact 2-door coupe. Doable. Liveable. Real cramped though. iPad is like a minivan. Ahhh, luxurious space.
    Yep, good analogy (except that I'm not a MiniVan person )

For reference, I started letting DS use my iPad during travel when he was 1yo. He's now 3 and I've continued to add apps to it for free or >$3 each as he needed to learn new skills or had new interests. He still can play with the iPad for hours on a flight, though we limit him to 30 minutes at a time of occasional use at home. He's not going to outgrow it anytime soon, and the apps continue to get updated with new content. A leapster type game is no comparison. The number of kid apps available for the non-Apple tablets pale in comparison. No one has been able to beat the iPad from a technology and ease of use perspective.

Also, you can share the iPad with him. Its great for all kinds of adult things and if you are limiting his use there will be plenty of time for you to use it. So fun toy for you too!
    Last edited by BayGirl2; 05-31-2012 at 07:25 PM.
    Amy

DS - June 2009
    DD - September 2011

Quote Originally Posted by codex57 View Post

TOTALLY diggin' yer explanation! oh, but FYI, this "PC" is also not a mini-van person... LOL! ;p

Quote Originally Posted by BayGirl2 View Post
    He's not going to outgrow it anytime soon, and the apps continue to get updated with new content. A leapster type game is no comparison. The number of kid apps available for the non-Apple tablets pale in comparison. No one has been able to beat the iPad from a technology and ease of use perspective.

Also, you can share the iPad with him. Its great for all kinds of adult things and if you are limiting his use there will be plenty of time for you to use it. So fun toy for you too!
    LOVE the last benefit... Maybe I'll get the hang of it and convert! LOL ;p

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast