Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I got a new HE top loader this fall and I have been very happy. Its a whirlpool cabrio.
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

cntrymoon2 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have a front loader LG and although I love the convenience of it, I hate the musty smell that I just can't get rid of. We never close the door between loads and I clean it regularly. But I just can't conquer the stink. I wouldn't do another front loader because of it.

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We have a front loader and no stink issues other than when my husband abandons a load for a whole day but we had that with top loaders and it goes away. I just leave the door cracked and wipe that rubber seal off periodically.

We have paid for one small repair (under $100) but realized it was just the filter getting gunked up with the stuff we left in pockets so we are more careful and learned how to fix that ourselves. It is only 5 years old though so it may start having issues in the future. We are happy thus far.

The biggest plus for me besides the water and energy savings is that a top loader lets me have a full sized w/d in a small space because we can stack them. There would not be room for a full sized side by side set up.

Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

brgnmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

we have a front-loader washer & dryer set-up, and so far, I prefer our front-loader (over the prior top-loaders that we've used in the past). It's an energy-efficient Frigidaire washer and it cleans a full load of clothing in about 45 mins. No stink issues with our machine. I just make sure to leave the front door slightly open to dry out any residual liquid after a cycle, and wipe any excess moisture around the door if necessary. The dryer is efficient as well and I like how easy both machines are to run and maintain. We have an automated fan in the laundry room, and that also helps maintain humidity levels, etc.

queenmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I love the idea of a front-loader for efficiency and space-saving ability but I'm so afraid of the stink factor!

I have a 13-year-old Kenmore set with a top loader that has been excellent, but I'm thinking ahead to its inevitable replacement.

Sent from the HTC Vivid 4G LTE via Tapatalk 2
    Mama to Henry (6/2000) and Agnes (4/2012)
    old school member of the BBB

I love my very basic, over a decade old, Kenmore top-loading washer. My mother has very expensive and shmancy front loaders, and they're quite temperamental. I hate using her machines, and she admits they're a PITA compared to my basic machines. My washer just does the trick every time. I love the look of the front loaders and the idea of the energy efficiency, but my appliance repairman told me my machines, especially the dryer, are actually more energy efficient. He said the new models do use less energy, but you have to run them longer, so, in fact, they are less efficient. I don't know if this is true across the board, but in comparing my mother's machines with my own, it is definitely true! Does this mean I would replace my machines with top loaders again? I don't know. In general I think newer items are often made less well than older ones, so a new top loader may be just as temperamental as a front loader. I'm going to keep repairing my machines, though, and get as much life out of them as I can!

Quote Originally Posted by queenmama View Post
    I love the idea of a front-loader for efficiency and space-saving ability but I'm so afraid of the stink factor!

I am way too OCD about closing doors/shutting off lights kind of stuff to ever leave the door open like you are supposed to. Plus, my laundry room is small, long and narrow, and for front loaders it would be better to stack them and mean I would need to redo the shelving. So all in all, just not a good fit for me. My friends love their front loaders, but have had to do very minor repairs in relatively short amounts of time.

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We also have the Bosch Nexxt front loader. I LOVE how quiet it is! The only time I even know that it's running is when it's spinning. Because it uses so little water, I can stop the cycle and open the door any time. I leave the door open all the time, but every 3 months or so I use one of those front-loader cleaners (Affresh, etc.). One little sock always ends up in the gasket area, soaking wet when the cycle is done. It's not a big deal to me, though.

One of the main things we were looking for was a washer that didn't have a drawer dispenser. My husband felt that was a recipe for disaster with our kids, who like to push and pull anything they can get their hands on. Our Bosch model doesn't have a drawer, it has a lid that you pull up. Because of that, it's not stackable. We don't have the space to stack, so it's fine for us.

I bought an LG front loader last year and LOVE it. It has a magnetic closure on the door that holds it cracked open so you don't have to leave the door swinging open. Have not had a musty smell problem in the year we have owned it. We have only run the 'tub clean' feature once and probably should do that more often but it doesn't seem to need it (I do wipe out the excess moisture on the door and seal after every few cycles). It has a "fresh care" feature where it will continue to spin the clothes every 15 minutes or so if you know you won't be around to change it out immediately they aren't sitting around. I also love the delay start feature, and have used it to load the laundry at night so it is done when i wake up. I also really like the 'hand wash' cycle in addition to the delicate cycle. Maybe you can find top loaders with these features? I didn't check because I hated my old top loader and wanted a front loader.

eta: I was a little concerned about vibration since my laundry room (closet) is on the third floor of my townhome. When it is on a high-spin cycle, you can hear it it, but it is not excessively loud. I did not purchase the special anti-vibration pads. The laundry closet is directly across from my DD's room and I do laundry all the time while she's napping.
    Last edited by KonzaPrairie; 06-01-2012 at 10:01 AM.

Binkandabee is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have a Whirlpool Cabrio set (HE top loader, no agitator) and I really like it! I was too afraid of a front loader because of the smell/mold issues I have read about and I don't really have a way (nor do I want to) leave the door open for long periods of time to air it out.

The thing that I love the most about it is the capacity. I can wash every single pair of dirty jeans all at once...plus have room to spare. It's huge!

My one complaint is that right out of the washer, the clothes are very wrinkled. I don't mind because I dry everything for a few minutes before I hang dry and the wrinkles come out, but I can see it being an issue if you strictly hang dry.
    DD 07/03
    DD 07/08
    Our family is complete!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast