Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We have a middle of the road Kenmore front loader and I have not had any mechanical problems with it. It cleans well (including cloth diapers), has a variety of water temps, and wash settings, which is what I wanted. We bought the unit almost 7 yrs. ago pre kids (well I might have been newly pregnant and didn't know it yet!) so I didn't think about the controls being at a toddler's height (as we don't have room for pedestals due to overhead cabinets), and DD1 was infamous for trying to change the washer settings. The worst thing I hate about our model is that it is kind of loud during the spin cycle, and that the soap drawer has cracked, and the settings on the machine have rubbed off due to moisture and such. I have never had a stink problem. The only thing I wish it had was a pre wash drawer for Oxy Clean or Clorox 2 type additives.

With all of that said when we replace this unit I think I will most likely look at the non agetator top loaders, and maybe the Electrolux front loader because we have been really happy with our Electrolux dryer we just bought in January.

I know you don't need toddler entertainment, but both of my girls between the age of maybe 9 months and 3 yrs. loved to sit and watch the clothes wash in the washer. They also like to help me load the washer and because it is at their level they feel extra helpful.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 06-01-2012 at 01:14 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

kara97210 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have a front loader (LG) that we bought a year ago. I had some hesitation because the front loader at our last place had smell issues, but I absolutely LOVE this machine. No bad smells at all and super efficient. I feel like my clothes come out so much cleaner than in machines I've had in the past (both top and front loading).

It also has 15 minute quick wash and quick dry cycles. That's come in really handy when we've realized in the morning that something isn't clean that we wanted to pack for a trip. The regular cycle is about 40 minutes for wash and 45 to dry. There aren't any cycles that are over an hour. No issues at all.

We got a great deal because we bought over a holiday weekend and there were a bunch of discounts.

jjordan is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We just bought a HE top loader (Samsung) for our new 2nd floor laundry room. The room isn't done yet so I haven't used it. The online reviews are great and it did really well with the Consumer Reports testing. I chose it over a front loader primarily because it was less expensive than a comparable front loader, and the vibration is less (which is a factor since our laundry room will be on the 2nd floor).

m448 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I also have a bosch nexxt and love it. We cloth diaper and have since we bought it 4 years ago. A load for two every other day.

I do felt stuff in my washer, it's possible. Also, ALL washing machines these days use much less water - it was a requirement starting in '08 so all those "new" top loaders were just a rushed attempt at complying. I went with proven front loaders instead of playing russian roulette with the newer stuff since F&P were the only ones who had the water saving top loaders out on the market for a while at the time.

Detergents have surfactants which means they suspend the dirt in the water and it doesn't have to be a ton of water. As far as stink, be careful you're not getting buildup on the inner drum. It's not the one you can see but when washing if your soap is causing tons of suds that stuff is accumulating at the top of the inner drum thus less likely to rinse off and producing funky odors. A cleaning cycle and revamping detergent use should help. We use charlie's and sport cleanser as needed.

I love that the capacity is large and the clothes super dry before even hitting the dryer. Plus I love the onboard heater which I think is an absolute necessity for a washing machine.
    Herding my flock of 4 kids, all 12 and under.

I had a front loading whirlpool duet HE washer/dryer at the at house we just sold. My current house came with a maytag Neptune top loading washer and traditional dyer with electronic panels.

The whirlpool front loader cleaned well, but the rubber ring at the opening constantly got mildewy/black despite regular bleach cleaning. It didnt smell...I just didn't like the idea of our clothes being washed with that. I always left the door open too.

My maytag top loader cleans well also. It's not HE, but I don't have a problem with mildew (still keep the door open out of habit). I like the top loader better. It's easier to put laundry into the machine, and there is no rubber ring that collects mildew.

If you would have to buy a new machine, I would suggest a HE top loader.
    DS1: 3/09
    DS2: 2/11
    DS3: 3/13

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have a front load electrolux. So far it has been a good machine. It does have a slight musty smell from the front ring but its not horrible. I love all the different setting choices.
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

mommyp is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have a Samsung front loader like codex was mentioning. It's great! We have had it 3 years and so far no problems, and no musty smells. We leave the door open (it's in the garage). Other bonus, DD loves to help put clothes in and move them from washer to dryer!
    DD January 2008
    DS September 2011

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by scrooks View Post
    We have a front load electrolux. So far it has been a good machine. It does have a slight musty smell from the front ring but its not horrible. I love all the different setting choices.
    can I butt in and ask which one?
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by HIU8 View Post
    What are the pros and cons of each? I've only had a top loader with agitator. The top loader minus the agitator looks intriguing to me. I like that the front loaders use less water though. I've also never had a digital console. I assume that costs more to fix. I'm trying to at least prepare myself in the event my washer will cost a small fortune to fix. I have not looked at washers for 8 years. I have no idea what is new/good/reliable out there now.
    Love the top loader without the agitator. No bending and big enough to wash a king comforter. We use HE 7th Generation detergent.

I have the top loading agitator less Cabrio too and love it. I use HE Era and it does a great job. It holds a ton stuff!
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3