Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We've lent out our truck multiple times to friends who needed something moved.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

Quote Originally Posted by crl View Post
    Yes I would let friends borrow our cars. In my world view, we have insurance and I'm just not that worried. If I had some specific reason to worry about a specific friend (history of lots of accidents, etc), that would be different.
    I can't remember the last time I was asked but this is my feeling too. My friends are all pretty responsible.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I would do it no issue.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We have an old, beat-up pickup truck that we tend to loan out to family/friends pretty frequently for moving/hauling junk/transporting yard stuff/etc. If any particular person seemed really irresponsible or had a horrible driving record I might hesitate, but as PPs have said, we have insurance, and we only loan it out to good friends and family who we know would help make the situation right if anything did happen.

I think the only time we ever said "no" was when a friend wanted to borrow it for a week to drive out of state; just seemed like a long time to be without a second vehicle, and for some reason I wasn't as comfortable with it being borrowed for a long-distance type thing.

lmwbasye is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would do it in that situation. For longer trips/full day...maybe not. Depends on the friend.
    Laura Proud Army wife and SAHM to Liam (10/04) and George (10/07)

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

i'll be a voice of dissent...i get where your DH is coming from. i would feel weird if anyone asked to borrow our minivan, unless it was a semi-emergency situation (e.g. someone's sick or hospitalized, and the family needs a van to transport family members coming from out of town, or something to that effect). I guess because first of all i would never dream of asking to borrow someone's car...i would just rent one out or pay a delivery fee rather than to ask a friend. I would be so uncomfortable and would be walking (or driving? lol) on eggshells the entire time if i had to drive someone else's car. Also, i don't realy know how the insurance thing works..if anything happened it seemed like i would be awkward situation...if there was an accident, how would the insurance work out?? would it be my insurance (for the car) or the driver's? I don't know. I'm probably over thinking it, as it's unlikely that anything will happen, but that's my take on it. I'd be willing to lend out pretty much anything to a friend but for some reason a car makes me think twice.

as a PP said you could offer to drive and pick up the furniture for them.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 06-01-2012 at 09:28 AM.

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We have. It's a very rare occurrence and we totally trust the people we have lent our vehicle to.

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I woud not. If something were to happen, the insurance headache would be horrendous and your rates would probably go up because you lent the vehicle.

I do not understand why they would not just rent a U-haul van for the day as PP said.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Pear is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have let close family use my car and even that makes me slightly uncomfortable.

As for your DH always being the one to say no, as a couple we generally present a united front. So I would never tell someone they could stay at my house without talking with DH and if his answer was no I would just say that it wasn't going to work out for us.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I don't have a huge issue with it, but I do get nervous driving other people's cars. We don't do it often. We have left our car with DD1's godparent's when they watch the girls for a long weekend so we don't have to install car seats and such.

In regards to the insurance issue if they get in an accident their insurance should cover them. That is what I have always been told.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast