Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Cute! Do it (and post a picture )

My instructions to my daughter's teachers are always "if it doesn't have a preprinted label with ingredients, DD1 cannot eat it". I am very specific that even if a parent tells the teacher that there are no nuts in the food, unless it is store bought my daughter cannot eat it. People who do not have to deal with food allergies on a regular basis do not always know that some of their ingredients may themselves contain an allergen (like m&ms may contain peanuts) or that sesame oil is just as much a problem as sesames, etc.
    So perhaps that is why the teacher may have this "rule".
    Maybe she herself has had to deal with food allergies in her family and has the same concerns as I do.

That being said, as the mom of a food allergic kid, I always send in the list of ingredients for anything that I send in. And I would more than appreciate all the effort you have gone through to accomodate your child's classmates. I would send the homemade cupcakes in. I would ask the parents of children with food allergies to specifically let the teacher know if their food allergic child can or cannot eat the cupcakes. If you had called me, I would send a note to the teacher letting her know that I spoke with you and am comfortable with my DD eating the cupcakes you were sending in. Otherwise, based on my prior instructions to the teacher, my DD would be eating something out of her safe snack box regardless of all the effort you put in clearing your cupcakes with me first.

Make them!
    Mama to 3

Make your cupcakes and attach a list of ingredients.
    DS1: 3/09
    DS2: 2/11
    DS3: 3/13

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by BabbyO View Post

As a mom with a FA kid, I would really appreciate you going out of your way to check and since you did, I think you should go ahead and make them.

Weird that the teacher didn't say anything you. I get that she might prefer it, but it isn't a rule. If her concern is FA's, you covered that. If FA's are her concern, maybe consider including a list of the ingredients and a copy of your email. I always send a list of the ingredients when I make homemade food because I know several other kids in DS' class have FA's.
    I'd guess she saw you had the FA angle covered. And another THANKS! from a FA kid mom.
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

bigsis is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

It's not a rule, you should make your cupcakes as planned. Sounds a lot yummier than anything you would get from a store.
    Lea

Mom to:
    DD 8/2003
    DS 11/2005

Thanks, everyone! Yay, I'll make the cupcakes (and send in a list of ingredients just in case, too)!

BTW, for those of you asking, the cupcakes I'm planning to bake are these:

http://annies-eats.com/2011/03/11/ba...plit-cupcakes/

Aren't they adorable?!

Thanks again!
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2