Default Laundry Help PLEASE!!!!!

Hi ladies, Im really hoping you guys can help me! We moved into our home last July and the washing machine lets just say, is very old. We have $0 in the budget for a new one, but it doesnt clean our cloths! Im telling you-I just folded laundry and one pair of my sons pants still had scratchable dirt on it, a baby blanket still had tinny peices of something from outside, one of my husbands socks was crunchy.....

ICH!!! Its so frusterating!

So PLEASE share your laundry secrets with me. What do you do to make sure your cloths come out clean. Step by step would be appreciated, apperently Im not very good at this

thanks!!!!!!!!!
    mommy to the loves of my life ds (Oct. 2008) and dd (Aug. 2011)

I would start by getting together a load of laundry. Then only put half in the washer and wash. It will take you longer but your clothes should get cleaner as there is less in the washer and more room to move around and aggitate in the wash water.

Binkandabee is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

What type of detergent do you use? I'd start with buying a good, name brand detergent like Tide.

Does your washer have a soak cycle? You might let the clothes soak just a bit before washing. That should take care of any crusted on dirt like you describe.
    DD 07/03
    DD 07/08
    Our family is complete!

I am using Tide.

How does a soak cycle work-the machine soaks and then automatically washes the clothsÉ

Binkandabee is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Mine automatically turns to a wash cycle, but I am sure it depends on your machine.

Even if you don't have an actual soak cycle, you can always just leave the lid up or stop the wash cycle once the tub full of water to do a soak. Once your soak is done, close the lid or turn the machine back on.
    DD 07/03
    DD 07/08
    Our family is complete!

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'd soak and also use a bit more detergent. You can also add washing soda to boost your detergent's action, you can find it in the laundry aisle at the supermarket (arm and hammer). I also use distilled white vinegar in the rinse cycle instead of softener and that also helps rinse out any stains that are left.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

Quote Originally Posted by edurnemk View Post
    I also use distilled white vinegar in the rinse cycle instead of softener and that also helps rinse out any stains that are left.
    how much do you dilute it and how much do you useÉ do you put it in the spot in the machine that says fabric softener or you just pour it in with the detergent

thanks everyone!

What sort of machine do you have? (front loader or top loader?) Is the agitator working? Are the clothes spinning properly?

If it is a top loader, I would go buy some oxy clean and powdered detergent. Like a PP suggested, I would halve your loads and soak the load in warm water, oxy + detergent before washing. In place of softener, (if you use it) I would add vinegar as it helps the laundry rinse clean.

Front loaders are much trickier!

Honestly, if the above didn't work I would probably just head to the laundromat until a new washer is in the budget.
    Dena

Super Crunchy Mama to:
    ('06) The big guy

('09) The little guy

('12) and the diva

Learning to live with MSPI, FPIES and Food Allergies.

Quote Originally Posted by soontobe View Post
    how much do you dilute it and how much do you useÉ do you put it in the spot in the machine that says fabric softener or you just pour it in with the detergent

thanks everyone!

I have a front loader and I just add the vinegar right into the softener slot until it hits the max line. If you don't have a softener slot you can either add the vinegar directly to the rinse cycle or go buy one of those softener balls and put the vinegar in there.
    Last edited by Jacksmommy2b; 06-11-2012 at 11:47 AM.
    Dena

Super Crunchy Mama to:
    ('06) The big guy

('09) The little guy

('12) and the diva

Learning to live with MSPI, FPIES and Food Allergies.