Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I love so many of those names mentioned!

I have very similar taste and know of a sweet little girl named Claire; nn Clairsie.
    It is hard to do nicknames with 1-syllable names, though.

Many of my favorite traditional girls' names have been mentioned, but I love

Katherine (Kate)
    Claire
    Suzanne/ Susanna
    Anna/ Ann(e)/ Annie
    Laura, Lauren
    Alexandra
    Elizabeth
    Marie/ Maria
    Grace
    Rose
    Celeste
    Josie

DD has one of these names, and DS would've had another one of them, if he was a girl.

Good luck deciding! Girls' names are so fun to think about and have the privilege of choosing!

mom3boys is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Madeline/Madeleine/Madelyn (Maddy)--although Maddie Mae sounds like a Rod Stewart song

Emmeline (Emme/Emma)
    Virginia (Ginny--or my friend, Ginger, oy!)
    Isabel/Isabelle (call her Belle as PP suggested)
    Meghan (Meg)
    Caroline (Cari)
    Abigail (Abby)
    Gabrielle/Gabriella (Gabby)
    Bethany (Beth)
    Annabeth (Anna or Beth)
    Rebecca (Becca/Becky)
    Collette (no nickname)
    Andrea (could call her Andie or Drea if you want)
    Timothea (Timmie)
    Theodora (Thea or Dora)
    Autumn (no nickname, I just think Autumn Mae sounds cool, like juxtaposing seasons)
    Cecelia (Celia or Cece)

All I can think of for now. The ones ending in "a" may work less well with your last name also ending in "a", but my nephew's name is Miles with a last name also ending in "s" and it works fine, so, maybe OK.
    M, Mom to 3 handsome boys, '06, '08, '11

You and I have pretty different naming styles, but I thought your post was pretty funny with lots of info to go on.

I agree that Annabel and Lily are popular. Despite never hearing Annabel mentioned on name threads here or elsewhere, I know five IRL under the age of 10.

Harper instead of Hailey
    Isadora instead of Isabella
    Mirabel instead of Isabella, nn Mira
    Claire
    Camilla, nn Cam
    Elsa
    Abigail
    Evelyn nn Evie
    Louisa, nn Lulu
    Elizabeth, tons of nicknames
    Lucille or Lucinda, nn Lucy
    Olivia, nn Liv
    Adelaide, nn Addie or Dell

I like Josephine too and the nickname Josie, but the last syllable was a problem with our last name. I considered Josette, which could still work with Josie. I also know a little girl named Joelle, which could go with Jojo, Elle, or possibly Josie.

You could do Clarice with the nickname of Claire.
    Last edited by american_mama; 06-11-2012 at 12:10 PM.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

My favorite suggestions so far are Evelyn and Claire.
    AF wife and SAHM of three
    DS(2007.March) DD(2009.July) DS(2012.December)

janine is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Jacksmommy2b View Post
    I give up.

My Dh is impossible and I am beginning to believe this child will never have a name. Currently we call her 'Snowa' as that is J's top pick. (I suggested Noah for a boy, J misheard and fell in love with the name.)

It is a girl.

Our boys are John Michael (NN. Jack) after Dh's GP and Samuel Vincent (vincent is a family name on my side.) So obviously we're big on classic, traditional names. We dig the whole formal name for adult and professional use and cute casual nick name. I am not crazy about anything super popular, I hate the thought of my kid being identified by last name, YK? (Luckily Jack has never been an issue that way although my hands were sort of tied there considering he was named in honor of someone.)

Our last name is a three syllable, harsh sounding polish name starting with a K and ending with a.

I love Catherine (Kate), Theresa (Tess) and Eleanor (Elle) but all three are out thanks to DH's crazy relatives with the same names. We like Sarah but it rhymes with our last name. I loved Annabel but even though it is like 100 on even our state list, it seems to be booming here. There were 2 Annabelles on the 2012 announcement board at my local OB out of 15! We also like Lillian/Lily but that seems to be super popular too.

I love Mabel, Charlotte and Josephine but DH isn't crazy about any of them. I like Amelia, but I think it just sounds odd with our last name. DH likes Hailey (I don't like at all) and his top pick is... Isabella. When I reminded him that has been the #1 name for a while now - his suggestion: "Oh, well we'll just call her Bella then."

The only thing we can agree on is that we really like Mae as a middle name. (unless I win the battle over Mabel in which case we'll need something else.)

So wise BBB'ers... can anyone name this poor kid before I actually have to put Snowa on her birth certificate?
    Had to chime in because sounds like me. We also have a long difficult sounding last name (lots of consonants). I also like traditional names. I love Catherine but you've ruled it out. We ended up with Annabelle (she's 7 mo's now)- it's funny to read wat you write b/c I know of NO other ones and love that it is 100 on list..getting more popular but it's awhile away and has not caught fire around me on the East Coast (let's hope no Kardashians name their kid this).
    Anyway obviously we love the name - it works with the last name even though I was worried it was a mouthful. She'll be 10 by the tim e she can spell both though! Anyway, Charlotte, Lily was also on our short list and I considered Amelia - in the end I found Charlotte and Lily too popular and Amelia..just didn't love it. Looking back I am just so happy that we went with what we did. It is such a pretty name. Looking at my baby, I could maybe see her called Charlotte, but the other names, no way. We do not shorten it. My DH was also tough ..mostly because he liked different kinds of names from me. What I did is keep names on the lists that he didn't hate. If he didn't say no way, it was a clear maybe to me! But if you don't choose it that's ok because trying to keep it from being too popular..hehehe, jk.

PS Our first is named Chloe. Very popular (wasn't as much 3yrs ago) but it is classic.
    Last edited by janine; 06-11-2012 at 11:22 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3