rachelh is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Nut Allergy Question

DD's party is on Sunday and one of her friends coming is allergic to nuts - among many other things. The mother told me I can make anything aside from things with nuts because she can't be in proximity to anything with nuts. She said this includes things that say "may contain traces of nuts."
    My question is what about things that say "produced in a factory that also processes nuts" or "produced on machinery that processed nuts." Are those both the same things and is it the same as something that says "may contain traces of nuts?"

I tried reaching out to the mom but have not heard back yet. Just trying to be prepared and think of alternatives. I did not realize how many items say "produced in a factory that also processes nuts!" (And how many things have soy - another thing she is allergic to.)
    DD1 6/9/06
    DD2 3/19/10

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

IIWY I'd go with the most cautious interpretation of it. Can't go wrong by being too careful.
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Unfortunately it just depends. I feel comfortable giving my nut allergic child stuff that was processed in a facility with peanuts but I do avoid warnings that state that the product was made on the same equipment as peanuts and further avoid "may contain traces of peanuts or tree nuts." Other parents of nut allergic kids also avoid facility warnings, relying on some study that indicated that product with facility warnings has equal or more nut containing product than equipment warning labelled product.

If you want to have treats for this person, may I suggest a company called Enjoy Life? They make snack bars and cookies and are perfect for kids allergic to gluten, soy, eggs and nuts.

I have seen tons of parents bring an allergic child his or her own cupcake too.

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

It's interpreted as the same thing by many Fa parents. I go by the study cited by
    Kindra, that says they are equivalent in risk. Yes, a lot of stuff is processed in shared facilities. What type of snack were you thinking of? I'm sure we can give you some ideas. Enjoy life is good, and likely to be free of all the items she's allergic to.
    Tj's makes a version of their snickerdoodle cookie that is also free of the top 10 allergens.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My DS has other allergies too, so I always bring his own food and don't expect anyone to make him safe food. As far as those types of warnings go, I don't usually feed those foods to my DS, but I would never say that he can't even be around them. For example, his classmates aren't allowed to bring snacks with peanuts in them (lunches eaten in the cafeteria are different), but they can bring pretzels that might have some warning on them. I just can't see a significant risk in him being NEAR a food that MIGHT have MINUTE traces in it. There are other allergic kids (older than my 1st grader no less) in his school whose classmates can only bring snacks from a specified list and those items are free of warnings as well, but if I'm being completely honest I think that's a bit paranoid and just causes people to resent accomodating the allergic kid.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
    but I would never say that he can't even be around them. For example, his classmates aren't allowed to bring snacks with peanuts in them (lunches eaten in the cafeteria are different), but they can bring pretzels that might have some warning on them. I just can't see a significant risk in him being NEAR a food that MIGHT have MINUTE traces in it. There are other allergic kids (older than my 1st grader no less) in his school whose classmates can only bring snacks from a specified list and those items are free of warnings as well, but if I'm being completely honest I think that's a bit paranoid and just causes people to resent accomodating the allergic kid.
    So well said. We got this crazy note from the school nurse in the fall to all parents about MY kid. It basically said to avoid bringing in food for snack that was processed in a facility with peanuts or tree nuts as well as shared equipment. The result is that people just give up and send peanut butter crackers.

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Ita. I feel fine about Ds being around others eating items made in a shared facility. He knows not to eat other people's food. I don't want him sitting next to someone eating a
    Pb sandwich though. When he was younger and had more allergies, and was in the putting everything in his mouth stage, I just followed him around on playdates.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

I was going to make the adorable fuzzy pink slippers in the link below.

http://www.hungryhappenings.com/2011...r-cookies.html

I had already made my own sugar cookies in the correct shape because obviously the nutter butter cookies are off limits. I also finally found nut free
    "peanut butter" only to realize the pink candy melts I bough are processed in the same facility as nuts. In the end I did not make them but maybe another time...they are just too cute!
    DD1 6/9/06
    DD2 3/19/10

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    So well said. We got this crazy note from the school nurse in the fall to all parents about MY kid. It basically said to avoid bringing in food for snack that was processed in a facility with peanuts or tree nuts as well as shared equipment. The result is that people just give up and send peanut butter crackers.
    At DD's school they have that rule. We deal...I just double and triple check everything but it is interesting to see the two different approaches to it.
    DD1 6/9/06
    DD2 3/19/10

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    I hate when that happens. I know a few instances at our school where parents were annoyed by rules, but upon further research it was the teacher who had set the rules for their convenienve or peace of mind. One teacher pushed the FA parent hard to come up with an list of safe snacks (mind you the kids aren't allowed to share anyways). The mom put together an exhaustive 4 page list of ideas. The teacher narrowed it down to a one page list that was understandablly frustrating to other parents.