Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Kids sports coaches question

If you DC plays sports at the recreational level (not school varsity or club) how would you feel if the coach had to miss the second game of the season due to a planned family vacation? I'm talking about a volunteer parent-coach not a paid coach. Do you expect him/ her to honor the commitment to coach the team 100%? Or are you ok with him/ her missing one game if he/she gives advanced notice and asks another parent on the team to help by coaching that one game?

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PunkyBoo View Post
    If you DC plays sports at the recreational level (not school varsity or club) how would you feel if the coach had to miss the second game of the season due to a planned family vacation? I'm talking about a volunteer parent-coach not a paid coach. Do you expect him/ her to honor the commitment to coach the team 100%? Or are you ok with him/ her missing one game if he/she gives advanced notice and asks another parent on the team to help by coaching that one game?
    I don't have a problem with it. We had several assistants this year in LL. I know a few games other coaches were not at games...I don't think our coach missed any but I know in the other cases the assistants just stepped up. I'm pretty laid back about kid sports though!
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

mom2khj is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I don't have a problem with it either. Especially during summer seasons.

DH usually will step in when something like that happens.
    mom to DD1 (17), DD2 (14) and DS (9)

speo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I don't care as long as they have a backup.
    DS1 2005 and DS2 2007

Quote Originally Posted by speo View Post

Catherine

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by speo View Post
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

maydaymommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Our intermural soccer coach missed several of the early games in our season last fall, including the first one. DH stepped in, which is nice, but he was clueless.

I wouldn't be upset if he missed it, but I would be upset if there was no one who was notified in advance that they would need to take the coach's place.
    Big Brother 5/07
    Little Brother 9/09

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Volunteer is the key. My husband volunteered to coach u8 soccer. No one wold step up to co-coach and he had 2 unexpected business trips. If it bothers you step up and run the game.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I would be fine with it, but if I were the coach who was missing the game I would want the team to know as soon as possible and I would ask for a volunteer or two to help coach the game.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

infocrazy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I am fine with it. The thing is, it's a volunteer position, that often no one else is willing to step up to do. I tried coaching when the team didn't have a coach, but DS2 was way too clingy, so DH took over and it was better. He has coached since and done a great job, but he never played soccer so it was definitely a learning process. I will say that we have intentionally missed very few in the 4 seasons he has coached, but would we give up a family vacation for a newly 5 yo's soccer game...not a chance.

ETA: I overlapped with Jeana but I totally agree. DH had an assistant coach the first two seasons, but no one has helped this time. It is a lot of work to wrangle the kids and even an extra parent who doesn't know what they are doing is often a big help during the practices. DH ended up being the assistant coach for DS1's flag football, which although he did play football in high school, has some different rules, so he didn't know, he just saw the coach needed help and stepped in. He also coached a game when the coach was out of town.
    Last edited by infocrazy; 06-26-2012 at 11:32 AM.
    Jen

DS in X-Small 7/12, Medium 5/07, and Large 7/05, one DD 3/10, and our DS 4/09 watching over us.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast