Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    maydaymommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Camp Bus Problem

DS1 just started day camp yesterday. To put it in context, it's a very reputable, highly regarded camp in an area where camps are a big deal.

This morning DS1 gets on the bus (it's a smaller sized yellow school bus) and walks towards the back to sit with his friend. The bus started moving BEFORE he was seated!! As they pulled away I could see through the back window/door of the bus that he was on his hands and knees on the floor of the bus!!!

I'm freaking out when I see that, of course, and DH is saying that I shouldn't have put his backpack on his back, because it's too heavy for him to manage. He may be right, but still!

Yesterday afternoon when the driver brought him home she told me he fell or tripped getting on the bus to go home and scraped his knee. Turns out his forehead was scraped as well.

I called the camp right away. They just said that it was unacceptable and someone would be calling me back. I feel badly about getting the driver in trouble when we need to rely on her all summer.

Am I right to be steaming mad about this?? I was confident I chose the right camp, but I had a lot of anxiety about sending him on the bus!!

What should I expect the camp to do and do I need to pull him from the bus?? Maybe he's just too small and too young to be riding it.
    It would be logistically difficult if I had to drive him myself, but I would if I had to.
    Big Brother 5/07
    Little Brother 9/09

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would be upset too.
    My kids took the bus home from school this year. I had to tell them they are NOT to get up and walk toward the front of the bus to get off until the bus was stopped. I was annoyed that the driver didn't enforce that rule.
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

Giantbear is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

i think your reaction was spot on. The bus should not move until all children are seated
    Proud father of dd 5-30-10

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I think it was right to call, but I wouldn't pull from camp for it, unless it happened again.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    I think it was right to call, but I wouldn't pull from camp for it, unless it happened again.
    Do you have a plan B where you/DH can drive and pick up, if you can't resolve the bus issue to your satisfaction?

maydaymommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks for the reassurance that I was not out of line being upset about it.

I did get a call from the camp. It was confusing because the transportation coordinator thought that I was calling about ds1's fall yesterday getting onto the bus!

I told her what happened and she said she will look into it, make sure it doesn't happen, and assign someone on the bus to help him with his seat belt.

I don't feel that much better about it yet. I couldn't pull him from camp, but I could figure out how to get him there by car.

Thanks again
    Big Brother 5/07
    Little Brother 9/09

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'd walk him to his seat in the morning. The driver knows that he fell once, shouldn't surprise / upset her for you to help.

I think their plan in the afternoon could work fine. Maybe just call to confirm what it is and update them with your plan for the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by ahisma View Post
    I'd walk him to his seat in the morning. The driver knows that he fell once, shouldn't surprise / upset her for you to help.
    I would think her DS might be a little embarrassed by this, but I don't have kids that age so maybe I'm wrong.

I think the bus will be OK, it seems like it might be a bit difficult to get him there by car. I think I'd try again.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    I would think her DS might be a little embarrassed by this, but I don't have kids that age so maybe I'm wrong.
    My DS (5 1/2) wouldn't be embarrassed. At least in our area, at that age it is still pretty cool to have your parents around.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Heck, my DS is 8.5 and wouldn't be embarrassed but I think he might be an outlier there, lol. I think it is totally normal to be concerned and I definitely would have called. Hopefully it won't happen again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast