Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Garmin or iPhone app or ?

Our three year old cheap gps device has started totally malfunctioning--reverts mid-trip to previous destinations with no warning! Should we get a Garmin or an app for our iPhones (we both have 4s) or something else? We would like something that gives voice directions while driving and shows where we are on a map during the trip. Don't want to spend a ton but would like something that actually works properly.

Thank you!
    Catherine

Momit is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We bought the TomTom iPhone app and are very happy with it.
    DS age 9

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

The Garmin app has limited functionality compared to the real thing. If you only use the GPS in a pinch, I'm sure it would be fine. I love having a real GPS. I use mine all the time because I explore new places with the kids, have a terrible sense of direction, and like back roads instead of highways .
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I prefer a GPS only unit so I can use my iphone for other stuff on trips.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I have an iphone 4 and am not too happy with it's gps capabilities. We have a reallllly old garmin gps unit that still works, but basically we need to upgrade to a new one. I much prefer a designated vehicle gps, than trying to use my phone, esp since it sucks through battery like crazy and if it has difficulty finding a signal (your phone), then you're screwed.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Garmin. We need a new one as well (ours is almost 4 yrs. old). I hate the google maps function on my phone.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

If you suggest a separate device, which one? A Garmin or a different brand? Which model?

Thanks!
    Catherine

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I use Waze for my iPhone and really like it. Navigon, another app, is 1/2 off right now I think (a paid alternative, that is well-liked by many).

When OS 6 comes out if you have a 4s you'll have a new turn by turn app built in.
    L, mommy to my one and only, super-sweet boy, G 6/08

I'm pro-big bird, and I vote.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I think we will most likely get one of these or whatever one goes on sale at Costco during the holidays:

Garmin 5" with Lifetime Maps

4.3" Garmin with lifetime maps, lifetime traffic, and blue tooth blue tooth

4.3" Garmin with lifetime maps and traffic, blue tooth, and 3D

When I bought the one we have for DH I read reviews on CNet, and posted some questions in a technology forum. Ours was about $300 and while it was more expensive than most of the cheaper units it got the best reviews, a traffic option, turn by turn directions, and had blue tooth (which we have barely used honestly). I honestly don't know if we had bought one of the cheaper less than $200 units if we would have gotten 4 good years out it. Prices did go down a bit though and units started including either lifetime maps or traffic with ads about 6 mos. to a year later.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We've had this one for ages, it's great. We paid $125. http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-1450LMT...2130361&sr=1-1

I just today bought one for DH's car, it was an ebay deal of the day for $128 http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-4-3-Inc.../dp/B00407238G It's better because it has voice activation.

Put a slickdeals alert on "GPS", there are sales on these things all the time.

Honestly I think all Garmins are basically the same. Slight differences between models that don't matter so much. Just get an inexpensive one with lifetime updates.
    Last edited by wellyes; 07-12-2012 at 06:05 PM.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast