JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Mouth injury- anything to worry about?

Zach just fell, and I'm guessing he hit his chin. He has two teeth marks on the inside of his lower lip. It bled a little, but not tons. He cried a lot more than he usually does when he gets hurt though, and that freaked me out a bit. He seems ok now- maybe 20 mins later. I gave him a couple of popsicles, and he nursed. Anything to be concerned about? Can't believe I've never dealt with a mouth injury until now!
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We had a similar thing happen to ds1 a few months ago. We went in b/c I couldn't tell if his teeth had gone all he way through. They gave us some medicine, a dental paste called Triamcinolone Acetonide, to help protect it while it healed.

Poor baby- those can be so ouchy!

liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have had lots of falls here, esp with DS3. Once he fell so hard that his teeth cut into his top lip so deeply that after a few days DH took him to the ER because we were certain he had some kind of infection (of course this was on the weekend). It was so swollen and the cut looked so ugly. Long story short, the ER docs were underwhelmed and they sent him home without doing anything. They said kids are super fast healers and that a fall like that is minor. DS3 had no pain issues and was able to eat normally. A few days later it was completely healed, but it did take about a week from the initial fall.

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

It's prob ok. Doesn't sound like it was too deep. I'd stay away from citrus or spicey foods while it heels, and maybe gargle w/warm salt water of he is able to.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks guys. I ended up giving him some Motrin too, and he seemed to do pretty well. I'll keep an eye on it, but I'm hoping it'll just heal up quickly on its own.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I think the mouth heals pretty fast.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard