Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Update in OP. Great ideas!---Know any fun ways to memorize multiplication tables?

Big thanks to Lilycat for the Aleks link and suggestion. Gator has been doing their Quicktables and games and while not exactly loving them, he does love that he doesn't have to study with me, can go at his own pace, is challenged and not bored by all the repetition. I love that he doesn't find a million excuses to study his math facts everyday and I can do other things while he is practicing. I don't have to keep an eye on hm because he wont walk away from the computer if he is being challenged. He is pretty sucked into the games!

I also ordered the Right Start math games but we have been pretty busy around here to start them. Friday nights are suppose to be game nights though, so this will be a good game for Friday nights!

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions!!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Gator is having a hard time memorizing his multiplication facts. He loves math, but hates memorizing these. To make matters worse, his school's math program has him taking weekly timed tests. I've been working with him this summer but he hates it more and more. He started learning them last year but his teacher gave us a heads up that he will really need to know them for this upcoming year.

Any creative suggestions?
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 08-11-2012 at 05:20 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

lilycat88 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Don't know if it's "fun" but it's worked for DD. She's switching schools this fall and going into 3rd grade she needs to know her multiplication facts and she didn't get any in 2nd grade. We're using ALEKS www.aleks.com. It's a full self directed math curriculum but we're really only using the "quicktables" part. It's a self-paced learning program that starts with 0x0 and builds up to 12x12. It's timed exercises and the logic built into the program only adds new facts when the previous ones have reached a certain level of learning. It's $20 a month and been well worth it for us. Each "fact" goes from "beginner" to "intermediate" to "advanced" to "expert". She started at zero at the beginning of the summer and she's at over 50% "advanced" or "expert" on the multiplication table going to 12x12.
    Susanna 6/29/04
    James 6/15/10

inmypjs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have a visual spatial 7 yo DS who also has trouble with rote memorization of math facts. Two things have helped us.

1. City Creek Press - www.citycreek.com
    The City Creek products basically put math problems into a story narrative about the numbers. We have not started the Times products, but we are using Addition the Fun Way with good results. We have the book and audio CD. I admit when I first looked at the book I thought it was a little hoakey. But the stories really work. We listened to the audio CD a lot at first, now we do it once a week. Great for the car. I don't think it would have worked as well for us without the audio. He didn't mind doing it so much because I'd also let him listen on my mp3 player while doing legos, etc.

2. Right Start Math card game set - www.rightstartmath.com
    I don't use the whole curriculum, but I recently purchased their card game set. I've been pleasantly surprised by how well DS likes it. He does not like to play card games otherwise, like never. The set has different kinds of cards, a manual and DVD. TONS of different games for all different math levels. Very worthwhile investment. Right now our favorite is a game where we put all the number cards face down, then he picks 2 at random and has to give me the sum. If he doesn't know it, I have him look it up in the Addition the Fun Way book and review the story. It is very simple, but he responds very poorly to time math drills, so this has been a great alternative.

Hope this helps!

wendmatt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DD liked to have DH used flashcards. He would hold up the card and she would jump over his legs as she shouted out the answer....doing something active at the same time helped her. Online game sites that practice multiplication has also worked here, anything on the computer is more fun. I also took dd's favorite thing (dolphins) and asked the facts with dolphins; "If we went to seaworld and fed six dolphins four fish each, how many fish would we need to buy?"....replace with your ds's fave items....

We're just going into 4th and have to work on division (which should be easy after multiplication, but I'm not sure it's going to be!). Good luck

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I use to have a tape/record with them being sung - they'd go throught the 1s, 2s etc. and have little themes in between. the only one I remember off hand is 7's, 'instead of fighting with your brother, practive your 7's it will please your mother'. the multiplication would be something like "one times seven is seven. (drum beat) one times seven is seven; two times seven is fourteen (beat), two times seven is fourteen"

repetitive but chant like.

Man i wish I could find those! off to do a youtube search

We used this CD: http://www.amazon.com/Multiplication...lication+songs

Pakin

DS 4/2001
    DD 6/2005

School House Rock had great times tables songs. I can still remember some of them! I think you can get those on you tube. There was even a set of all the School House Rock songs that we got on Amazon.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

My ds is very into baseball and there is an iPad baseball multiplication app he keeps playing even though they haven't done multiplication in school yet.

Catherine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast