sunnyside is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Toddler grinding teeth?

My DD has done this a few times.. She just turns 2 and over the past 2 or 3 months, I've heard her do it maybe 3 times. It doesn't seem to be related to stress. It seems to be just exploring her body and how it works, but it makes me wonder if I should worry. Anyone have experience?
    Mama to two sweet girls - Summer 2010 and Spring 2015

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My DS did this when he first got all of his front teeth. He rubbed them together all the time and it made the most awful sound. Quite annoying, but totally normal from what I have read. Like you said, just exploring their body. He quit after a bit.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

fedoragirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My 10 month old DS does this and I am also looking for a way to stop it. DH does this during the night and I am worried DS will fall into this habit. My mom says you can put a mouth guard but I am sure that's for much older kids if not adults. I just don't want him to hurt himself or rub the enamel down.
    3 year old DD
    2 year old DS

Ds did this. Our ped said it was totally typical and to just ignore it. And a neighbor just mentioned how much it is driving her nuts that her ten month old has been doing this. I think it is really common.

Catherine

azazela is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My son did it too for a while around that age. Annoying as anything. We ignored it and he stopped. Just a new, fun skill I guess.
    Anna, mommy to DD 11/06 and DS 3/10

sunnyside is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks everyone! Guess I will try to ignore it for now!
    Mama to two sweet girls - Summer 2010 and Spring 2015

MamaInMarch is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Was at DS's pediatric dentist Friday morning and overheard the convo with the mom of the kid in the next chair about child grinding his teeth. Kid looked to be around 1.5-2 or so. I didn't hear every word but enough to hear that the dentist was basically unconcerned and didn't offer anything like a guard. And that the little kid would quit on his own.
    Last edited by MamaInMarch; 08-11-2012 at 08:50 PM. Reason: to be more specific...

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DD used to do this around age 2 and I asked her dentist. He said it was totally normal and didn't need to be addressed unless she was still doing it at 4 yo. She has since stopped....thank goodness because that noise makes my hair stand on edge!
    Mommy to a total chatterbox
    DD now tells me she prefers to be known as a
    DD 10/08