Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Jai is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default When it is your week to bring the preschool snack...

What do you bring?

I had no idea that DS' preschool asked each family to sign up for one week to bring snacks. He is only a morning student for 3 hours on 3 days so I just didnt know we would be asked to do this. Since he eats lunch before he comes home, I assumed snack was only for afternoon students but apparently, they eat snack in the morning as well. It seems like a lot of eating happening in three hours. I just wish they would increase the cost of tuition and take care of snacks and the supply list stuff. All this extra stuff is starting to add up, especially since I was unaware before we started the program..Anyway, didnt mean to turn this into a bitchin' post.

Suggestions for snacks, please?
    ------------
    SAHM to DS 2/09

maiaann is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Our snacks have to be nut free. Off the top of my head, I've provided the following:

goldfish crackers, pretzels, teddy grahams, graham crackers, etc.
    fresh fruit
    squeezable yogurt/squeezable applesauce
    blueberry mini-muffins (store bought, usually Costco)
    cheese sticks
    snack size bags of Pirate's Booty
    Handi-snacks

I try to mix it up so the kids don't get bored. Our preschool teacher(s) gave us the heads up that Nutri-grain bars don't go over very well.
    DD1 10/01
    DD2 02/07
    DD3 07/09

string cheese
    Fruit
    Ritz bits cheese crackers
    Popcorn
    Yogurt/ Gogurt
    Applesauce
    Goldfish
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

When it was my turn I always sent cut fruit salad. It was the easiest way to avoid food allergies.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

TJ's edamame
    fruit
    yogurt
    cheese sticks
    crackers
    quesadilla wedges

Okay, one more newbie question--do you just send the entire week's snacks on Monday? Or do you bring them each day? I would love to do fresh fruit but that seems a "bring in each morning" type of snack.
    ------------
    SAHM to DS 2/09

Momit is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Definitely check for food allergies in your DC's class. For example, we have one kid who can't have pineapple and one who can't have strawberries, so it can be more than just nuts to consider.

Not sure about the bring in every day vs. bring in for the week. Maybe you could do a fruit salad the first day, then yogurt and bananas, then string cheese and whole grain crackers the other day. Do you have to bring it on the days you don't even go to school?

When we've done this before there is usually at least one other family to split the task with, and then we would just bring whole fruit and the teachers would cut/prepare. I've never had to bring everything for an entire week.
    DS age 9

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Find out about food allergies in the class and also ask the teacher for ideas, if they didn't already provide a list of suggestions. My go to snack for my kids (unless it was a, "theme" snack, those are kind of stressful, like you need to bring a snack that starts with a certain letter or a certain color, etc.) are precut sliced apples, string cheese and water. I think I was the only parents who didn't bring juice or milk as a drink, but the teachers think that water is perfectly acceptable and so do I, esp since if they have cheese, that's dairy and if they have apples, that's a fruit. I try to do something healthy. In every preschool class, the snacks has gotten out of control as there are many parents who bring in junky snacks like, "fruit snacks" aka candy, cookies and cupcakes (not a bday), etc.. So, I know the teachers appreciate the parents who take the effort to bring a healthy snack. I've been pulled aside several times by the teachers to thank me for taking the effort to provide a healthy snack, since most parents bring in a fun, but unhealthy snack.

I've also done things like a whole banana, veggies and dip, yogurt, and an healthy cereal mix (we made this one fun by put into snack sized ziplock bags and then decorated a wooden clothspin to clip the middle of the bag, which makes it look like a butterfly, they were a big hit).
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    Find out about food allergies in the class and also ask the teacher for ideas, if they didn't already provide a list of suggestions. My go to snack for my kids (unless it was a, "theme" snack, those are kind of stressful, like you need to bring a snack that starts with a certain letter or a certain color, etc.) are precut sliced apples, string cheese and water. I think I was the only parents who didn't bring juice or milk as a drink, but the teachers think that water is perfectly acceptable and so do I, esp since if they have cheese, that's dairy and if they have apples, that's a fruit. I try to do something healthy. In every preschool class, the snacks has gotten out of control as there are many parents who bring in junky snacks like, "fruit snacks" aka candy, cookies and cupcakes (not a bday), etc.. So, I know the teachers appreciate the parents who take the effort to bring a healthy snack. I've been pulled aside several times by the teachers to thank me for taking the effort to provide a healthy snack, since most parents bring in a fun, but unhealthy snack.

I've also done things like a whole banana, veggies and dip, yogurt, and an healthy cereal mix (we made this one fun by put into snack sized ziplock bags and then decorated a wooden clothspin to clip the middle of the bag, which makes it look like a butterfly, they were a big hit).
    I like the apples and cheese idea. Thanks. I do need to check gor allergies and to make sure they know DS cannot eat bananas. I wrote it on the application/forms but I will alert the preschool teachers personally.
    ------------
    SAHM to DS 2/09

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

fruit or veg -- that is all that is allowed. we do cut up
    apples
    watermelon
    oranges sliced
    grapes cut in half
    cucumbers sliced
    other melons
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast