Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Double check with the teacher/school about if a refrigerator is available; probably not a big deal for a three hour day, but it is nice to sometimes send multiple days at a time if you need to.

Also ask how they want it "packaged" our preschool wanted one big bowl of fruit so they could practice family style eating - passing, scooping, etc. While I know others need to send individual servings of snack.

We went four or five days a week and took snack each day for a week. I tried to mix it up - cheese, fruit, veggie, cracker. My kids always liked bringing the random "trail mix" which was usually raisins, dried cereal, and whatever else I had in the house.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I think a morning snack is pretty standard. It is social teaching- one kid helps serve, one kid helps with the grace (if it's a parochial school), they all use napkins properly, they all thank the kid who brought the snack, talk about how much they enjoy it, etc. At ours, no one is ever made to eat something they don't want to, but they aren't allowed to say negative things about it. Another lesson in politeness.

Personally I have come to love the communal snack vs each child bringing his or her own. Especially for am preschool where, like you said, the kids aren't going to keel over from hunger if they don't opt to eat it.

It seems like a lot of eating happening in three hours. I just wish they would increase the cost of tuition and take care of snacks and the supply list stuff. All this extra stuff is starting to add up, especially since I was unaware before we started the program..Anyway, didnt mean to turn this into a bitchin' post.
    I know what you mean, it was a surprise to me too. I think it's nice you have a week. I have 1 random day every 2 weeks or so. Much harder to remember!

I have gone cheap, and have seen plenty of other moms do it as well. A big bag of pretzels from Costco is less than $5 and will feed all the kids. Cheese and crackers is very popular. I've sent in goldfish because I forgot it was our day and that's what I had in the pantry. No big deal.
    Last edited by wellyes; 08-30-2012 at 04:03 PM.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Our DC/Pre-school does this. Only we bring in snack for 1 day/month. On that day we're also supposed to provide a package of wipes or box of tissues.

Usually the snack is assigned, BUT since DS had FA's they always made it "Your Choice" which was difficult.

Typical Snacks at our DC are:
    Teddy Grahams
    Gold fish
    Sausage
    Cheese & Crackers
    carrots & dip
    bananas
    grapes
    apples
    oranges
    celery
    fruit snacks
    popcorn (this one surprised me for a 2-3 yo room)
    yogurt
    watermelon
    jello

Some of the things we've done:
    chocolate avacado pudding (for B-day snack/treat)
    pretzels & Hummus
    Fruit
    Sweet potato fries - though they get soggy since I have to make them the night before and put them in the fridge...the kids love them though.
    I'm sure there's others I can't think of!

Check to find out about food allergies AND if they allow homemade food. Some places only allow store bought to ensure they have ingredient lists.
    --------
    DS - Adopted by loving parents 1995
    DS1 7/2009 ('Stachio)
    DS2 9/2011 (Peanut)

Quote Originally Posted by Jai View Post
    I like the apples and cheese idea. Thanks. I do need to check gor allergies and to make sure they know DS cannot eat bananas. I wrote it on the application/forms but I will alert the preschool teachers personally.
    I was about to suggest bananas, but it sounds like they are out. In our preschool the state mandates that snacks have to be individually wrapped or packaged. So baking and sending in doesn't work, fruit salad didn't work, a large box of loose crackers, etc. Bananas qualified, along with yogurt tubes or individual packs of crackers/goldfish/grahams. My dc has allergies and they would save extra snacks (so if you sent in 2 boxes of crackers w/ 12 each for a class of 18, they saved the remainders- obviously doesn't work with some snacks) for another day. If someone forgot it was there day or your child couldn't eat the snack due to allergies, another was available. I would clarify what their requirements are.

I know it is frustrating to have to do one more thing, I agree with the pp that snack time is such an important part of preschool and not due to the eating. While each family has its own social customs surrounding eating together, obviously there are also some that are basic and can be practiced easily through this simple, short ritual. It is also a good few minutes of "down time" that even pre-k kids need.
    All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
    ~Abraham Lincoln~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2