Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yeah, I didn't start out buying organic foods when DS1 was an infant because I thought it would be more nutritious. I didn't want a little 6 month old just starting out on solids to be exposed to so many pesticides! And then I moved on to organic milk and meat to avoid the hormones and antibiotics.

But there are plenty of studies showing that grass-fed dairy and meat is much more nutritious (higher CLA levels which fight cancer) than both grain-fed conventional and organic dairy and meat. Grass-fed beef is also lower in saturated fat than conventional beef. And I distictly remember a study from last year that concluded that organic oranges had MORE vitamin C than conventional oranges because conventional oranges has more water and were therefore more diluted. It's also a known fact that organic eggs have lower arsenic levels than conventional eggs.

So I will continue to buy most of my produce at the farmer's market along with the pasture-raised eggs and grass-fed beef that I buy there as well. And I'll stick with my organic grass-fed milk, cream, and cheese as well.
    Last edited by essnce629; 09-04-2012 at 05:53 PM.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by brittone2 View Post
    someone else's decision a "waste of money."

I haven't read the actual study yet; I only had time to catch a bit of it on NPR. I did not hear if they teased out small farm practices vs. big agra "organics" because that's another point that I think is important. Practices at some small organic farms (or biodynamic farms) are likely very different from those used by big agricultural companies that are producing "organic" produce.

People have so many different goals for why they might eat organics, etc. that it is silly IMO to try to decide whether they are "worth" the cost...one person looks at those organic bananas and says totally not worth it, they aren't a dirty dozen item. The next person things a 10 or 20 cent per pound premium is well worth it to avoid exposing banana workers to so many chemicals.
    The first I heard of it was on npr this morning, but the kids were making so much noise I couldn't hear most of it. Still it was a surprise because I actually heard someone say the load of pesticides isn't as bad as people think. Maybe I was wrong, but I was like ???? But they did go into other issues like sustainable farming vs. large scale conventional agri businesses.

I actually tuned it at first because I thought it was going to be more discussion about whether the label of "organic" really means what we think it means anymore.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Here's a few studies that DO show the superior nutritional benefits of organic and/or grass-fed foods.

Effect of feeding systems on omega-3 fatty acids, conjugated linoleic acid and trans fatty acids in Australian beef cuts: potential impact on human health.
    Data from the present study show that grain feeding decreases functional lipid components (long chain n-3 FA and CLA) in Australian beef regardless of meat cuts, while increasing total trans 18:1 and saturated FA levels.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16500874

A review of fatty acid profiles and antioxidant content in grass-fed and grain-fed beef
    Research spanning three decades supports the argument that grass-fed beef (on a g/g fat basis), has a more desirable SFA lipid profile (more C18:0 cholesterol neutral SFA and less C14:0 & C16:0 cholesterol elevating SFAs) as compared to grain-fed beef. Grass-finished beef is also higher in total CLA (C18:2) isomers, TVA (C18:1 t11) and n-3 FAs on a g/g fat basis. This results in a better n-6:n-3 ratio that is preferred by the nutritional community. Grass-fed beef is also higher in precursors for Vitamin A and E and cancer fighting antioxidants such as GT and SOD activity as compared to grain-fed contemporaries.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2846864/

Conjugated linoleic acid content of milk from cows fed different diets.
    Cows grazing pasture and receiving no supplemental feed had 500% more conjugated linoleic acid in milk fat than cows fed typical dairy diets (Experiment 1).
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10531600

Antioxidant effectiveness of organically and non-organically grown red oranges in cell culture systems.
    Our results clearly show that organic red oranges have a higher phytochemical content (i. e., phenolics, anthocyanins and ascorbic acid), total antioxidant activity and bioactivity than integrated red oranges. Further studies are needed to confirm whether the organic agriculture practice is likely to increase the antioxidant activity of other varieties of fruits and vegetables.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16096701

Fruit and Soil Quality of Organic and Conventional Strawberry Agroecosystems
    At multiple sampling times for two years, we evaluated three varieties of strawberries for mineral elements, shelf life, phytochemical composition, and organoleptic properties. We also analyzed traditional soil properties and soil DNA using microarray technology. We found that the organic farms had strawberries with longer shelf life, greater dry matter, and higher antioxidant activity and concentrations of ascorbic acid and phenolic compounds, but lower concentrations of phosphorus and potassium. In one variety, sensory panels judged organic strawberries to be sweeter and have better flavor, overall acceptance, and appearance than their conventional counterparts. We also found the organically farmed soils to have more total carbon and nitrogen, greater microbial biomass and activity, and higher concentrations of micronutrients. Organically farmed soils also exhibited greater numbers of endemic genes and greater functional gene abundance and diversity for several biogeochemical processes, such as nitrogen fixation and pesticide degradation.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2931688/

The influence of organic/integrated production on the content of phenolic compounds in apple leaves and fruits in four different varieties over a 2-year period.
    Cultivation type had an important influence on the polyphenolic level and antioxidant capacity of the apple fruits and leaves. Apples from organic production showed a higher content of hydroxycinnamic acids, flavanols, dihydrochalcones, quercetins and total phenolics than apples from integrated cultivation.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20662009

Quality of organically and conventionally grown potatoes: four-year study of micronutrients, metals, secondary metabolites, enzymic browning and organoleptic properties.
    The results indicated lower nitrate content and higher vitamin C and chlorogenic acid content to be the parameters most consistently differentiating organically from conventionally produced potatoes. Elevated concentrations of glycoalkaloids were also observed throughout the experiments in some potato varieties grown in organic farming systems.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16019825
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3