Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Disneyland Costco packages - good prices?

OK so we're going to do this for sure. We've gotten approval from our bosses to take the vacation time and everything! Now onto booking...

The girls will be 4.5 when we go, and we plan to do 3-4 days. Maybe 4 (get there on Sunday, rest/relax, then go on Monday, Tues, Wed, Thurs.)

I saw that Costco has some vacation options for DLR. We would ideally like to stay on-site in the most easily walkable hotel. I've been digging around on the overwhelming Disboards and it looks like the Grand Californian is the way to go in terms of quick, easy access to both DL and CA. Our girls don't nap (well, they do at school but not on weekends) right now, but they aren't kids with a lot of stamina and I imagine they WILL get tired and we would want to spend some time in the afternoon resting at the hotel, and to have to option to hit both DL and CA if we are able.

Anyway, opinions on whether the Grand Californian is the way to go would be appreciated! We are using going to use airmiles for airline tickets so we are willing to splurge on hotel to make this the easiest possible experience for us (the parents - LOL).

Anyway my main question is whether the Costco packages are good in terms of pricing. I just don't have time to really bargain-hunt for deals, but I don't want to pay top dollar either. I want a good middle ground of fair prices without having to spend hours and hours on disboards and elsewhere trying to get good deals. So...opinions on Costco?

TIA

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

What hotels does Costco have available? I am pretty familiar with the area for off site hotels. The area is not nearly as big as Disneyworld so there are plenty of options within a 15 minute walking distance of the park.

Here is a link to Bubbaray's 2011 trip report and she reports that the Best Western Anaheim Inn on Harbor Blvd. is a great place to stay. It is literally across the street from the Harbor Blvd. main gate and it is a nice walking distance to the Anaheim Garden Walk area where there are some nice restaurants, plus there is a Mimi's Cafe up the street, and a Denny's right next door IIRC. It would also be a do able walk from the Disney property hotels, and Downtown Disney if you decide to hang out there.

Other nicer hotels in the general across the streat location are the Marriott, and the Sheraton at the Convention Center, but they cater to business people so not as many or as close breakfast options.

If I was still hell bent on staying on property I would probably check out The Disneyland Hotel as well. It isn't that far of a walk from the park or you can take the Monorail and I believe you can often get better deals there than you can at the Grand Californian from what I understand.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Honestly, if you are getting the flights for free and willing to splurge, GCH is supposedly the best option. The DLH has been remodeled since I last stayed, but it felt like a bland 3 star hotel at 5 star hotel prices when I went about 5 years ago (stayed overnight for a wedding on-site). GCH has its own special entrance to DCA, too.

There are other great perks there (bedtime story hour in the lobby?) but the one drawback I have read is that the rooms are smaller than expected for that price point. If your girls don't nap, then it's not an issue (as the parent stuck in the room may have to hide in the bathroom or sit in the dark for a while). When my girls are older, I definitely want to stay at the GCH but for now, a two room suite is a must for us and I'm unwilling to pay $1,000/night for one on-site.

Karenn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think the Grand Californian is definitely the best place to stay, as long as it's in your budget. It's so close to California Adventure. Very convenient.

Costco is a great option for a fair, easy price. You might be able to find a slightly better deal if you really watched for sales and such, but you wouldn't be terribly overpaying if you went with Costco, especially if you're staying on property. The benefit in going with Costco is that the package often includes character meals at a discounted price.

You can sign up on the Disneyland website, and they will send you codes for xx% off of your hotel stay.

VERY rarely is a package deal an actual "deal". Even with Costco Often, with just a little bit of effort (like signing up for the Disneyland emails), you'll save quite a bit.

On the disboards, try searching "PIN code".
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

Thanks for the feedback! I finally registered at disboards.com

It just occurred to me that I could go ahead and make hotel reservations, and then cancel in advance without penalty once we decide, right? And then would I be able to apply a promotion to an existing reservation if I came across one later?

tny915 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Yes, you can book directly with the hotel and then cancel later. I've done this.

The Grand Californian is a very nice hotel. We stayed there on our very first visit to Disneyland about 5 years ago. These days, I much prefer the Disneyland Hotel, especially now that everything's been renovated. I think Goofy's Kitchen in the Disneyland Hotel has better character meals than the Grand Californian restaurant. The kids pool is also much better at the DIsneyland Hotel, though this probably doesn't matter to you since it may be too cold to swim when you visit. The whole hotel just feels more Disney-fied to me with the decor around the grounds and the rooms.

But all that said, I do thnk the Grand Californian is worth a splurge and you should go for it. The proximity to the parks and the entrance to California Adventure are huge perks!
    DD1 2003
    DD2 2008

Quote Originally Posted by tny915 View Post
    Yes, you can book directly with the hotel and then cancel later. I've done this.

The Grand Californian is a very nice hotel. We stayed there on our very first visit to Disneyland about 5 years ago. These days, I much prefer the Disneyland Hotel, especially now that everything's been renovated. I think Goofy's Kitchen in the Disneyland Hotel has better character meals than the Grand Californian restaurant. The kids pool is also much better at the DIsneyland Hotel, though this probably doesn't matter to you since it may be too cold to swim when you visit. The whole hotel just feels more Disney-fied to me with the decor around the grounds and the rooms.

But all that said, I do thnk the Grand Californian is worth a splurge and you should go for it. The proximity to the parks and the entrance to California Adventure are huge perks!
    OK cool I might just book a couple of options so we have more time to really decide. I keep waffling between a resort hotel or something like the HoJo with a kids suite.

Now I'm trying to figure out why my disboards login isn't working!

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Just chiming in to say that we have stayed at both the Disneyland Hotel and the Grand Californian ... our family much prefers the Disneyland Hotel. Their new pool area with the monorail water slides is AWESOME! So much better than the Grand Californian. The new remodeled rooms are really nice ... the light up headboards are cool (per my DS2) and the beds were SO COMFY! If given the choice between the 2 hotels our whole family would choose the D-land Hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    OK cool I might just book a couple of options so we have more time to really decide. I keep waffling between a resort hotel or something like the HoJo with a kids suite.

Now I'm trying to figure out why my disboards login isn't working!
    Book now if you want a kids suite at HoJo. They book up fast! I got ours 10 months in advance!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast