Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    oneplustwo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default What info is on your dog's ID tag?

We just got a puppy, and I'm planning to order her an ID tag. What info do you have on your pet's tag? The Boomerang site where I'll probably order suggests putting your own name, phone # and street address along with your dog's name, but is all of that really useful or a good idea? Just wondering what others do and why.
    “The difference between perseverance and obstinacy is that one often comes from a strong will,
    and the other from a strong won’t.” Henry Ward Beecher

Worry is like a rocking chair ~ it keeps you busy but it doesn't get you anywhere.

for Sandy Hook Elementary School

I do, although the info has rubbed down so much I really need to order new ones.

Make sure you do a cell phone number vs. home number, IMO, because if you are out of town or out looking for your dog, you want them to call where they will get in touch with you.

I'm not so sure a street address is also necessary, although I have found and returned dogs before (pre-kids) and if I had had a street address, I might have just walked the dogs home vs. keeping them in my yard until the owner came and got them. That actually would have been easier because I had to keep my own dogs in the house and they were going nuts with two stranger dogs in our yard.

Edit to add: I don't think including your own name is necessary.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

I have my dog's name and my cell number. I do think it is worthwhile to put a street address on and I probably should get a new tag with that information. I once returned a dog who had managed to escape his backyard and was only a couple of houses away. It would have been much harder had he not had a tag with his address as I didn't have my cell on me or a leash.

Catherine

Dog's name, address (including city and state--you never know), home phone, DH cell phone, my cell phone

He also wears his rabies tag and county registration tag. The vet can track us down by looking up the tag, as can the county. So he has a "3fer" on his tags!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We don't put an address on ours. We include:

Front:
    Dog's name
    2 phone numbers (DH and my cell)
    chip ID number, and URL (e.g. www.24petwatch.com)
    24petwatch 1-800 number

Back:
    vet's name
    vet's phone number
    rabies tag number

I know it's controversial to include the microchip ID, but I decided better to have it than not.

I highly recommend boomerang tags! They engrave very deeply and I LOVE their colored plastic tags - they last YEARS and they are thick, strong, deeply engraved (with either black or white showing through the engraving depending on the tag color), and with a stainless steel rivet. The first set we ordered 7 years ago are still like new - no rubbing off AT ALL. I only ordered another set because I wanted to update the rabies tag number and because I wanted to change the color And they can engrave both front and back so we can get lots of info on the tag.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 09-18-2012 at 11:05 PM.

Dog's name, cell number, and the words "Reward If Found" to encourage the finder to call us asap.

Pet's Name
    Street Address
    City, State
    My cell phone #
    DH Cell phone #

We live in an area with lots of dogs on our street and our lab has been walked home by people several houses down many a time so I think it's helpful to have the street address.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Pet's Name
    Street Address
    City, State
    home #
    cell #

as an aside, the Boomerang tags are THE BEST. I had one slip off a collar after I used the hose to bathe the dog and it spent a year outside before I found it. Through the snow, rain etc. and its still just as perfect as all of the others (ie, basically look new)

Sadly, the tags outlast the dogs.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We also had my parents' phone number on the tag since we visit them frequently.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Shouldn't a zip code be sufficient in lieu of city/state?

And as far as the microchip ID, our dogs are both microchipped, but they have a separate tag with the microchip number.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast