Default Petite, Curvy Mamas - what are you loving right now?

So, as you might remember from a previous thread, I am having a lot of thyroid issues right now. I have put on a solid 20 lbs, and that's hard to hide on a petite frame (I am 4'11"). I am not feeling awesome about my body right now, but all attempts to lose weight have been big fails (probably because of my thyroid. I'm working on it.)

I'd like to buy a few pieces that make me feel AWESOME and stylish, but I don't want to spend a fortune. I am feeling particularly heavy in my thighs/butt/hips. I'd love new jeans, but also need some things I can wear for work. Spam me with your recent purchases!!
    Green Tea, mom to three

robinsmommy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My favorite jeans right now are Loft curvy petite - I find the bootcut ones at the thrift store. I'd love to try the curvy Eddie Bauer ones, too - I've heard good things about them. I know that skinny jeans are all the rage just now, but I honestly don't think they are the best for a pear shape, esp if you're short.

If you're on a budget, consider the thrift store. My favorite Patagonia fleece - $14 at Value Village. And same price for the double layer Title 9 wool wrap coat. Mind you, you have to find a good one - there are nasty, skanky stores with nothing you'd want, and then there are ones that get great stuff.

I usually find a good skirt or dress to be the most forgiving. Surprisingly, it's often the tailored/shaped ones that do the most - a lot of the baggy/loose dresses add pounds.

And I highly, highly recommend going to the Rack (if you have one) or other discount store and getting a nice bra and undies that fit you well - 20 lbs usually changes breast size a bit, too. I love how nice underpinnings boost my self-esteem. And they usually help everything else look nicer, too - no bulges from the bra or undies that might show under clothes.

ETA - for the record, I'm 5' 1/2" and a rather squishy 120 or so pounds. When I work out and have more muscle, I look much better. Sigh.
    Last edited by robinsmommy; 09-23-2013 at 08:28 PM. Reason: more info

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I am in the same boat though I gained mine last winter and it hasn't budged (at least it hasn't increased!!). Anyway, I loathe it. But, I did buy a great pair of pants at ATL. I think it was these. They are teal and I love them. I feel good in them. http://www.loft.com/zoe-ankle-pants-...aultColor=2156

I did suck it up and go up a size in a few pairs of pants. Some I stayed the same size in but it took just trying things on and not worrying about the tag. I bought 2 pairs of Drew fit from The Limited. I should have sized down though- they are too baggy and saggy. I have some a size smaller though from 2 years ago and they look much better (the bigger size just buttoned a smidge easier).

I bought a elastic waist denim pencil skirt at Old Navy that I plan to pair with sweaters, tights and boots or some such. I was happy to find it b/c the zippers always pucker for me on denim skirts.

The Calvin Klein stretch jeans at Costco are flattering and cheap. Their pointe pants are really great too. Like the Bettona but cheaper (and they don't hold up as well, from reviews here). For $20 vs $80, I'll acccept that I am getting what I pay for though.

Hope that helps! Thyroid stuff is no fun at all.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Im5'1" and pear shaped. For dress pants I like the curvy fit that The Limited has. My fav jeans are Lucky Sophia fit.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

npace19147 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Also at Nordstrom Rack if you have it, Not Your Daughter's Jeans are fabulous. Suck you in without being uncomfortable, and they come in petites too! I'm 5' 1" and I don't have to shorten them, which is amazing. Really the only jeans I buy anymore.
    Nancy, mom to

DD1 5/04 and DD2 3/07

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Based on another thread, I got some boot cut Kut from the Kloth jeans. Love them. Much cheaper than real premium denim but cut better than gap or BR denim. Bettonas are really forgiving and comfy and can be worn to work with the right top. When you lose weight, you could still wear them more as comfy pants and get a lot of wear of them. Anthro has a lot of great tunicky type tops that are on sale right now at "the room" in store. They are very forgiving and comfortable and can be worn with Bettonas, layered with cardigans or blazers as the weather changes or with a long sleeve layering tee underneath.