Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ha98ed14 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default What happens when people with hyphenated maiden last names get married?

Have you known anyone with a hyphenated name (man or woman) before they got married? What did they do when they got married? Did they add on a 3rd last name? So Mary Smith-Jones married Robert Anderson. Is she Mary Smith-Jones-Anderson? I'm not even going to speculate about what happens if two people with hyphenated names get married...

I'm asking because there are two men that I work with who changed their names to include their wives. So Robert Jones became Robert Wang-Jones when he married Angela Wang. I wonder what will happen to the Wang-Jones children when they marry...
    Mommy to my One & Only 05.07

queenmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I dropped the hyphenated name and took my husband's last name. Keeping both of my names and adding his would've been ridiculous, and choosing between my names would've caused hurt feelings. My kids just have DH's name.
    Mama to Henry (6/2000) and Agnes (4/2012)
    old school member of the BBB

I knew two (unrelated) girls in college with hyphenated last names because their parents had given them each of their surnames. Both HATED the fact that they had hyphenated names and said that they would drop both and take their husband's name when they married. One half-jokingly told a few of us that even if we kept our last names once we married to just pick one name for our kids.
    D, married to B, momma to DD1 (7/08) and DD2 (8/10)

I was Mimi DadsLastName-StepDadsLastName for most of my growing up years. Now, when I get married, I'll drop the last name from my step-dad, and do SO's last name, moving my maiden name to the end, to become... Mimi NewMarriedLastName-DadsLastName. When I was married before, I was Mimi MarriedLastNameOnly, and fine with that. The only reason I will keep DadsLastName with this marriage is that I now have DD, and her last name is the same as DadsLastName.
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Not exactly the same but my mom has a hyphenated first name and hyphenated middle name. And, when she got married, she hypenated her last name too!

so she became Sue-Ellen Mary-Jane Smith-Jones. Except, that all her names were long!
    first Mi last
    5-8, 5-9, 7-10

So, when in 2nd grade we were told to write our parents full names, I couldnt b/c I didnt know them all! The nun didnt believe me and sent me home with the assignment to go home and write it out 25 times or so to learn it. I was ticked to say the least.

But, to answer teh actual question, when she named me, my last name was just 'Jones'.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Karenn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I know a couple that recently married. The husband was hyphenated the wife wasn't. They're still both using their own names : Mr. Smith-Jones and Ms. Anderson. I'm really curious to find out what name their kids will use. I'm guessing Smith -Jones but I wouldn't be surprised if they did something else.

Latino cultures do this all the time--I forget how the combo works out--it might become a combo of the 2 maternal ancestor names. Eg. if you have Sanchez-Gonzales marrying Aragon-Aguilar, you take one name from each of the last names to get a "new" last name, but the line is continued because one of the names from the father's line is continued. Hopefully, someone else can explain this better!!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

ha98ed14 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    Not exactly the same but my mom has a hyphenated first name and hyphenated middle name. And, when she got married, she hypenated her last name too!

so she became Sue-Ellen Mary-Jane Smith-Jones. Except, that all her names were long!
    first Mi last
    5-8, 5-9, 7-10
    Is she from a foreign country or is English a second language? I cannot imagine a 1940s era name like that. that's impressive that she kept them all! Out of curiosity, what did people call her and what did her driver's license say?
    Mommy to my One & Only 05.07

bigsis is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    Latino cultures do this all the time--I forget how the combo works out--it might become a combo of the 2 maternal ancestor names. Eg. if you have Sanchez-Gonzales marrying Aragon-Aguilar, you take one name from each of the last names to get a "new" last name, but the line is continued because one of the names from the father's line is continued. Hopefully, someone else can explain this better!!
    My friend is Filipino. They are somewhat similar with the names.
    Anna Mom's Name Dad's Name (no hyphens)

When the woman marries, she drops her mom's maiden name:
    Anna Dad's Name DH Name (again, no hyphens)
    Lea

Mom to:
    DD 8/2003
    DS 11/2005

cuca_ is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    In most places they use the father's name and the mother's maiden name as the children's official name. It is unusual for women to change their names when they get married, so the children have both the father's and the mother's name. However, it is not considered one last name. Kids have a paternal last name and a maternal name. There are people who do hyphenate them, but I would say that IME most don't. I do know people who have added the hyphen when they come to states, so that they can keep both as their official name.

As to the original question, I would think that she would take his hyphenated name, keep her maiden name, or come up with a new version of the hyphenated name (but I can't imagine that they would hyphenate all 3).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast