Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lalasmama View Post
    I was Mimi DadsLastName-StepDadsLastName for most of my growing up years. Now, when I get married, I'll drop the last name from my step-dad, and do SO's last name, moving my maiden name to the end, to become... Mimi NewMarriedLastName-DadsLastName. When I was married before, I was Mimi MarriedLastNameOnly, and fine with that. The only reason I will keep DadsLastName with this marriage is that I now have DD, and her last name is the same as DadsLastName.
    Ok, Mimi. Got anything you want to tell us?
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

I've known two women who were hyphenated lasts.

One was First Maiden-Last and became a widow then remarried. She changed it to First Last-New Last to keep part of same name as kids (who have her DH1's name).

The other - First Middle Name Mom-Dad and she became First, Mom as Middle, Dad-Husband. Her middle name was something very common and not significant to her. Her mother had been part of a known family and did something significant, so she wanted to preserve her mothers last name in some way.
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Same as everyone else these days, they do whatever they want!
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

I had a hyphenated last name and took my husband's name so all of us would be the same. I hated having a different last name than my parents growing up. I didn't want to do that to my children. If I hadn't felt that way, I probably would have kept my own name.

marie is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    And I have friends who weren't even hyphens but made up a last name for their family to fit them better.

NPR did a cute story about hyphens getting married and having kids.

http://www.npr.org/2012/07/19/156923...-names-pile-up
    marie
    mama to
    DD1 9/03
    DD2 12/07

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ha98ed14 View Post
    Is she from a foreign country or is English a second language? I cannot imagine a 1940s era name like that. that's impressive that she kept them all! Out of curiosity, what did people call her and what did her driver's license say?
    yep foreign country and she has a nickname entirely different than any of her other names used by family and close friends (of course!*!) and uses just the first part of her first name for casual stuff. But anything official she signs 'Sue-Ellen Smith-Jones' and thats what it says on her DL.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    Latino cultures do this all the time--I forget how the combo works out--it might become a combo of the 2 maternal ancestor names. Eg. if you have Sanchez-Gonzales marrying Aragon-Aguilar, you take one name from each of the last names to get a "new" last name, but the line is continued because one of the names from the father's line is continued. Hopefully, someone else can explain this better!!
    This. I am MyName MyDadsLastName- MyMomsLastName. Same for DH. our kids are Name DHsDadsLastName - MyDadsLastName. This is how it works in most Latam countries and Spain, in Brazil its the maternal last name that gets carried forward. Hyphens are not used, but in the US many people add the hyphen. I did not change my name when we married.
    Last edited by edurnemk; 10-15-2012 at 10:32 AM.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by queenmama View Post
    I dropped the hyphenated name and took my husband's last name.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    I kept my last name and the kids have Dh's last name as their last name. But they have two middle names and one of them is my last name. I assume they won't use it much, in fact when forms force me to choose, I use their first middle names and drop my last name. I think it quite likely my dd will drop my last name altogether if she gets married. That's fine. I did what I wanted with my name, my kids can do what they want with theirs.

Catherine

My sister and her SO are trying to figure that out. In their case, her BF has a hyphenated last name- something like Coast-Jazinowski. My sister's last name is Post. So not only would a combined last name be a mouthful, it would ryhme!

She has semi-jokingly said they would have considered just dropping one of his names to end up with Post-Coast, but that would hurt BF's Dad.

Or she would keep her last names, and name any children Coast-Jazinowski.

Or that they would take a new last name together, perhaps my mother's maiden name that did not get carried on. I hope they choose that option, selifishly, and to make the last name easier for future children.
    DS- 6/09
    DD- 4/12
    It's a boy! DS- 2/15

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast