Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I wash the cutting board and knife with hot water and Dawn, using wadded-up paper towels. I use the same wadded up paper towel and more Dawn to scrub the kitchen sink, including the inside edges (ours is undermount). The knife goes onto a towel to dry; the cutting board into the dishwasher. Then I wipe down the counter that the cutting board sat on with a Chlorox wipe. Then toss the wipe and the paper towels.

Ugh. DH washes the dishes (that's our deal--I do all the shopping, meal planning, cooking, lunch-packing, etc., and he washes dishes most of the time), but I shudder to think how he does it. We have different standards/expectations when it comes to doing the dishes, but I've decided just to keep my mouth shut as much as humanly possible because I hate washing them myself. All I know is he usually keeps using the same stupid sponge until it starts to smell and I can't take it anymore and throw it out. *Cringe* So far, none of us have died or fallen ill, so I suppose his system is working. I do know that all our dishes (except the good knives and delicate or melt-y things) go through the dishwasher and, usually, a heated dry cycle. So that probably helps.
    Mom to J 6/25/08 and M 6/21/11

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I spray the counters/cutting board with a vinegar and tea tree mixture. Wipe down counters w/paper towel. Put the cutting board into the dw and wash the knife with hot soapy water, and maybe put it in the dw after. I throw the sponge in there, too.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

I use scrubby brushes rather than sponges (not sure if that makes a difference). I give a quick scrub to my cutting board before putting it in the dishwasher and then quickly rinse out the scrubby brush with hot water. I spray my counters with disinfectant and wipe down with a paper towel. Then I wash my hands with soap and water.

That all sounds complicated when spelled out in writing, but in reality it takes just a couple minutes. Its total habit by now so I don't have to think twice while doing it.
    DD 12/08
    DS 1/14

Put the knife and cutting board in the sink, spray with an antibacterial spray and put them in the dishwasher.

Spray the sink and the area of the counter where I was cutting with antibacterial spray and wipe down with paper towels - this step is specific to high-risk foods like chicken and some meats. However, I never use the dish sponge for cleaning sinks or counters due to the risk of cross contamination.

Copious hand-washing during and after - makes me wonder if the chicken is worth all the trouble!

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I just rinse everything off with water and put it in the dishwasher. The only thing I use to clean my counters is 50/50 vinegar water spray and microfiber towels (which I wash in the washing machine on the "sanitary" setting. I don't use sponges.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

marie is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by LizLemon View Post
    Put the knife and cutting board in the sink, spray with an antibacterial spray and put them in the dishwasher.

Spray the sink and the area of the counter where I was cutting with antibacterial spray and wipe down with paper towels - this step is specific to high-risk foods like chicken and some meats. However, I never use the dish sponge for cleaning sinks or counters due to the risk of cross contamination.

Copious hand-washing during and after - makes me wonder if the chicken is worth all the trouble!
    very similar to the above. anything that has touched raw poultry goes into one side of the sink (which I empty ahead of time) and gets sprayed with a bleach/water solution. Cutting board goes directly into dishwasher. Counter gets sprayed down with same solution and wiped with a paper towel. Knives get washed with a scrubby (not a sponge) using hot water, dish detergent. Scrubby and sink get sprayed down with bleach solution.
    marie
    mama to
    DD1 9/03
    DD2 12/07

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2