Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default How long for mammogram results?

How many days/weeks after you do a mammogram do you get the results?

If something is wrong, and surgery is recommended, can they usually schedule that within a few weeks? A month?
    DD
    DS

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I go to a clinic where I got the results while I waited - it took about 20 minutes. I needed to have an ultrasound for a lump and they did that in about another 20 minutes. After that, they decided to do a biopsy and they scheduled that for 3 business days later (there was a weekend in there). And the biopsy results they promised in 2 business days, and they said they would call at home the evening of the second business day. I was so impressed when they did call at 7:30 pm that night. Mine was benign but I really did get the impression that they would have moved me right along with due speed if there was a need for surgery. This might depend on the place though.

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Ours reads them within 48 hours, I think, for screening. May be shorter for diagnostic mammograms. They send a letter within 5 days, so they say to give it 10 days (with weekends and mail delivery) before calling. They also now have an option for someone to call you within 3 days (I think) either way. They will always call if there is any issue.

Sometimes if there is something obvious or you have had suspicious areas on previous ones, they will have someone look right away and send you to ultrasound right then.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

I got mine the same day, within 2-3 hours I think.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I get mine at the time of the mammogram (10 mins after?). Surgery can be arranged within days/weeks depending on what the surgery is for. I go to Mass General which is a very large hospital, which I think is important context.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

kmkaull is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I got my results within 24-48 hours. I was called back for a second mammogram a few days later. Within minutes of that 2nd mammogram, they asked me to stay for an ultrasound. I was given the all-clear that same appointment.

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thanks everyone.
    The Dr. came in just a few minutes after the ultrasound portion, and told me that the mammogram and ultrasound all looked good. No cancer!

I was having some pain and thought I felt a small lump but everything is fine.
    DD
    DS

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

If there's something wrong you usually hear very soon, like less than 48 hours. If it's normal, you get a notification in a week or so.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/