Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    petesgirl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default When did your child become a one-napper?

My 16 month old seems to think it is time for only 1 nap a day. Some days I can still get him to take 2 naps but most days he takes one and then cries through most of the other. So I have tried giving him only 1/day, more in the middle of the day but it is hard to keep him until around noon-ish.

When did your child switch from 2 naps to 1 and how did it work out? Is it normally this awkward? Should I just switch him completely to one nap or still try putting him down for two?

We did a short morning nap and a long pm nap during the transition. This only works if your lo is ok with being woken from a nap.

That sounds about the same age as my boys. I remember trying to get them to 11:00 and then 12:00 for their one nap and adjusting bedtime as needed. Maybe go with the morning nap if your DS wakes early in the morning for him or try to skip it if he gets up a bit later?

DD is 16 months and the victim of older siblings and their school/activity schedules. She naps in the car and is actually asleep there now in the closed garage, doors open to the inside though. She gets 1-2 naps each day depending on if she falls asleep on the way home from taking DS1 to school 25 minutes away from our house.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Ds was already down to one nap when we adopted him at 13.5 months. Dd switched at about 14 months. The transition was a bit patchy for a couple of weeks. But this varies a good bit from what I can tell from my mom friends.

Catherine

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

All 3 of mine dropped to one nap early; I think the range here was 10-13 months. I know that's early, but that's how it went here.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

mommyoftwo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My girls were down to one nap pretty early. With Linnea it happened at 4 months. They also stopped napping completely at young ages-Amelia was 2 and Linnea was 18 months. It was frustrating but there really wasn't anything I could do about it.
    Jessica

Mommy to:

Amelia (11/21/03
    Linnea (9/1/05)
    Annaliese (12/21/12)
    Kirsten (12/21/12)

fauve01 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

my DD dropped her morning nap at almost 11 months, and dropped the last remaining nap at 19 months. it was brutal (for me!), but nothing i did would get her to sleep during the day again.

it was pretty abrupt too, no on and off napping. she napped fine, and then suddenly she didn't anymore. like a switch went off.

9 mos for both of them. They both dropped naps completely shortly after 2 years.
    Megs
    DD1 (13-ish)
    DS (11-ish)
    DD2 (5-ish)

Another early one here. DS dropped to one nap around 9-10 months old, transition was easier than I thought, in fact I don't even remember struggling with it. Like a pp said, it just happened like a switch one day; two to one in such a short order of time.

I'm hoping DS will continue his only nap till 3!
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Around 11 months.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast