Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Those moms who could not grind through sore nipples....

DS2 is 5 days old and I'm ready to give up BF so I am looking for some ideas. My nipples are so sore that on the pain scale it is a 10 when DS latches and then it drops to a 7-8 during the feeding. To give you an idea, my labor pain was a max of 8 until I got my epidural....BF is much worse. It gets so bad by evening that whatever I have pumped during the day is what I give him at night via bottle. It's not a latch issue (LC at hospital said latch looked fine)....it's a nipple sensitivity/pain issue. In normal circumstances, my nipples are very sensitive. I have a LC coming later today to work with me, but I had the same issue with DS1 and gave up after 10 weeks.

The last 2 nights, I've had to do at least one feeding of formula because I didn't haev enough pumped milk to get me through the night. And I pump maybe once or twice a night. Pumping is a little less painful for me so I prefer that, but it's double-duty so I am losing patience.

For those who cannot tolerate the sore nipples, what have you done to at least keep BF a little bit. Right now my approach is to BF as much as I can during the day, squeeze in a couple of pumpings during the day, and by 8pm I am done BF because I'm dying from the pain. At that point, I start using the pumped milk and also use formula for 1-2 feedings at night. I also pump 1-2 times a night and use that milk before using formula. Any other suggestions?

Also, I know one of the first things everyone says is that pumping can mess up your supply and give you oversupply....I dont believe i have that issue. I didn't have enough supply with DS1 and will probably end up the same with DS2 so I'm not worried about pumping and creating oversupply.

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I don't have any real advice, except hang in there. I also had horrible pain for the first month of bfing, but then it gradually got better until by 3 mos there was no pain at all. It frustrates me when people say it's not supposed to hurt, and if it does something is wrong. I think it does hurt for many women in the beginning. I think your strategy is good, I never really tolerated pumping, but I did resort to the occasional formula bottle and it was fine. I bfed my 1st 2 for 13 mos each, my 3rd is going on 11 mos now.

Ugh. I can so relate. It can be so awful. It does get better with time though, if you can stand it. The things that helped me get through is pumping (yes, still painful and miserable, but for me not as bad), NIPPLE SHIELDS, soothies (http://www.amazon.com/Soothies-Gel-P...ipple+hydrogel),
    and just not letting clothing, showering, etc. irritate things more. I saw 2 LCs too, and that was semi-helpful.

Nipple shields and soothies. There IS some 'miracle nipple cream' that is available with an rx. I got some with my ds (7 yrs ago, so this could be old info). It's great and I've used it with my daughter since. Also, try a different hold. If it's a latch issue, that could help.

Earth mama angel baby nipple butter is good too, but more for less terribleness.

Hang in there. I think it's common.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Did they check for tongue tie?

I assume you worked with IBCLCs? Sometimes hospital LCs aren't really all that well trained from what I understand...if you aren't working with someone with an IBCLC designation, I would do that. You probably were, but just mentioning that in case.

I really only had more significant pain with my first DC, and it was better after 1-2 weeks. I had atiny bit of pain before my milk was really in with DS2 ( I remember him nursing and nursing and nursing his 2nd night, which really brought my milk in the day after, but it was uncomfy until that happened).

Are you trying a lot of different positions? I remember that helping a bit at times. Football vs. cradle for example.

Hang in there if you can. I'm glad you have help on the way...definitely good to have someone else take a look.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Momit is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Try the Medela nipple shield.
    http://www.diapers.com/p/medela-cont...i_kw={keyword}

And always keep your hands over your nipples when you shower (I found showers very painful the entire time I was BFing).
    DS age 9

I agree with the PPs that recommended the nipple shields. They were my saving grace those first few weeks with DS1!!

Hang in there, it's hard and frustrating but hopefully it will work out. Hugs!

mommyoftwo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I had similar issues and it does get better eventually. I have always had sensitive nipples so breast feeding was pretty excruciating at first. i was surprised at how my nipples toughened up over time. What helped me other than the passage of time and the girls getting better at nursing was Ameda comfort gels. They aren't cheep but they are so, so worth it. I would keep one pair in the fridge and switch every feeding. They only last for so long before you have to replace them but it was worth every penny. I didn't find that nipple shields really helped much but some people find them very useful. Lanolin helped some with keeping my nipples from drying out which makes the problem worse. Definitely try talking to a lactation consultant with lots of experience and tell them exactly how you feel.
    Jessica

Mommy to:

Amelia (11/21/03
    Linnea (9/1/05)
    Annaliese (12/21/12)
    Kirsten (12/21/12)

Philly Mom is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I couldn't read without posting. I was the same way. In tears everytime I nursed. I had the LC at my house multiple times and she could not help me. DD had her tongue clipped. I think it made it worse some how. At 6 weeks, as I was in so much pain, and DD was having a weight gaining issue, I gave up. Personally, it was a horrible decision to make and I felt very judged by it. However, in the end, I had a very happy baby who was getting what she needed and I became happy again because I was not dealing with constant pain. I know most mamas here will tell you to push through the pain and it will get better. If you can't make it, just know you are not alone and your DC will be just fine. DD is almost 16 months and thriving. I don't regret my decision. That said, I will try nursing again with a second child (if I have one) and hope that I can push for longer.

I agree with the nipple shields- saved me although it can diminish your supply. I really just think some people are more sensitive than others. I was the same way/ Breastfeeding was much worse than labor and it lasted for a good 6 weeks- I mean toe curling painful.

My experience with earth mama angel baby nipple cream was much better than lanisoh.

Check her latch with a lactation consultant but in all honesty there may not be much you can do/ just power through and hang in there it will get better.
    DD1 01/10
    DD2 04/12

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast