Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Craigslist- is this your experience?

I've just started listing a few baby things on Craigslist over the last few months- good stuff and it's listed at very reasonable prices- lower than the other comparable items on the site- rock n play, medela pump in style, fisher price swing, pottery barn nursery set, etc.

The first thing I listed was the rock n play and it was snapped up right away and there wasn't a problem with the hand off. The rest of the stuff I've probabaly had 15 people contact me and we've set up an exchange time and place and they don't show up!!

Supposedly I have an active craigslist according to my friends, but really- is this normal?? It's not worth it to go through the hassle of setting up and then hauling the girls and then waiting 30 minutes for them to no show.

I email and confirm the exchange time on the morning the day of- we are meeting at a easy, central place- and I send them directions....geeez, maybe it's just my area of the county? Or is this pretty representative of how craigslist transactions work (or don't work). I mean really- a medela pump in style for $30??? Fisher Price Papasan swing for $40? I thought those would be snapped up immediately!
    DD1 01/10
    DD2 04/12

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Are you saying 15 people have stood you up????

I would estimate that I have made over 100 transactions on craigslist and I have had one no-show and a couple of times people have backed out after meeting. But other than that I have had great experiences and made a ton of money. That's crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    Are you saying 15 people have stood you up????

I would estimate that I have made over 100 transactions on craigslist and I have had one no-show and a couple of times people have backed out after meeting. But other than that I have had great experiences and made a ton of money. That's crazy!
    yep- 15 times in the last 6 weeks or so- ridiculous!
    DD1 01/10
    DD2 04/12

That hasn't been my experience, but I'd start doing the confirmation of time and place by phone if I were you. Tell them to call you if they need to cancel or are running late because you can't wait around.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

minnie-zb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I haven't had this problem either, but I would say I have people come to our house. I only schedule them when my husband or another adult is present, but this works well for me and it avoids me wasting time going to meet them somewhere.

infocrazy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I don't sell on Craigslist a lot, but when I want to meet them somewhere, I make it the grocery parking lot (for example) and tell them to call when they get there. If they are on time, great, if not, I will go and do my grocery shopping. I always give my cell as a contact, so if they call, I'll just come out for a minute and then go back in.

I never make it it's own trip.
    Jen

DS in X-Small 7/12, Medium 5/07, and Large 7/05, one DD 3/10, and our DS 4/09 watching over us.

I've noticed people are rarely on time but I have only dealt with a minimum of no-shows. I have people come to my house and only at times that are convenient for me (so I'm not waiting around for them). I don't deal with people at all if there is anything about the exchange that makes me wary. It might take a bit longer to sell things, but I'm not wasting my time on people who might not follow through.

ETA: But I'd totally stop by for your swing if you were closer
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

mypa is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

This is the reason why I started asking for phone numbers and call them directly. I get more serious buyers this way.
    Mary

DS Summer '05
    DD Fall '08

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I have sold one stroller (Uppa Baby Vista) and the person showed up. I would definitely be frusterated if I were in your shoes.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

yeah, I will only make final arrangements by phone and I ask the buyer to call as they are heading out (that's also when I give the final address - before that I only give an intersection).

I'm sorry you got stood up so many times.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast