Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Hearing Aid Help Needed

My mother is so hard of hearing that you have to basically scream in her face for her to understand but she is afraid to get hearing aids. She says she has heard stories about hearing aid businesses just selling whatever they need to get rid of or what will make them the most $$$ not what is best for the customer. What is the best way to protect yourself when buying a hearing aid. She is coming to town for the holiday and I thought I might take her to get one and any information on the best way of going about it would be helpful.
    Thanks
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Only have her go to an AUDIOLOGIST, they are properly trained to diagnose hearing loss and are bound by ethical guidelines to dispense hearing aids as appropriate.

When you are looking up local providers you should be easily able to see which ones are actual audiologists as opposed to hearing aid dispensers. The non Audiologists may have a lot of "certification" but unless they are an actual audiologist I would not go to them.

Yes, hearing aids are expensive and there are a lot of issues for some people finding the right one.

It's important that if she's going to get her hearing aids somewhere that she can easily get back there to get them adjusted, so maybe don't have her buy them away from home.

You could get the hearing evaluation though first.

I believe bbb member kerridean is an Audiologist if you have more specific questions, I'm an SLP so not up on all the audiology info.

my grandmother has had a positive experience with costco's hearing center.
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My mom just got new ones and has only been to an audiologist that's associated w/ the ENT's office.

I'm leary of the places that have full page ads in the paper touting their hearing aides!

They are EXPENSIVE - more so if you need two of them.

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    Only have her go to an AUDIOLOGIST, they are properly trained to diagnose hearing loss and are bound by ethical guidelines to dispense hearing aids as appropriate.

When you are looking up local providers you should be easily able to see which ones are actual audiologists as opposed to hearing aid dispensers. The non Audiologists may have a lot of "certification" but unless they are an actual audiologist I would not go to them.

Yes, hearing aids are expensive and there are a lot of issues for some people finding the right one.

It's important that if she's going to get her hearing aids somewhere that she can easily get back there to get them adjusted, so maybe don't have her buy them away from home.

You could get the hearing evaluation though first.
    I'm an audiologist. Feel free to pm me if you have specific questions. Just have a sec right now. I will try to post more info later.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

Hi! I am also an audiologist. Mom2binsd posted great information. I will add on just a bit.

1. The audiologist should have either MA-CCC-A (Masters Degree) or Au.D. (Doctor of Audiology) after his or her name.

2. You will ALWAYS be offered a 30-60 day trial period. The patient will receive a full refund if not satisfied.

3. Hearing aids are expensive for a reason: research and development, small market, FDA approval, and more. BUT they are WORTH it! Think of how much money people spent on a car but will not spend to HEAR and communicate. Communication is worth every penny when hearing aids are appropriately fit and WORN by the pt. Most hearing aid failures are due to pts not wearing the hearing aids consistently (all day!)

4. If given a hearing loss in both ears, the audiologist should ALWAYS recommend 2 hearings aids. I would rather someone fit with 2 lower end hearing aids than 1 very high end aid.

5. Costco? Eh....not enough variety in manufacturers for the audiologist to choose from IMO. I would go to an independent audiologist or an audiologist in a hospital.

Oh one more thing...if your mom (or any one else reading this) is a service-connected veteran (they may have even recently changed this to non-service connected as well), they are eligible for hearing aids (high end) at the VA at absolutely no cost.

I used to work at the VA and they do a wonderful job with audiological services so do not be afraid. The hardest part is getting registered in the system.

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Just another comment on Costco. FIL has hearing aids and has had them for years. He recently joined Costco and was thrilled to find his same hearing aid there for a significantly lower price.

I wouldn't go to Costco for hearing evaluations, etc., but I'd check their selection of hearing aids when it was time for replacements, just in case they had the one I needed.

Quote Originally Posted by kerridean View Post
    Oh one more thing...if your mom (or any one else reading this) is a service-connected veteran (they may have even recently changed this to non-service connected as well), they are eligible for hearing aids (high end) at the VA at absolutely no cost.

I used to work at the VA and they do a wonderful job with audiological services so do not be afraid. The hardest part is getting registered in the system.
    My dad is a disabled vet and gets all of his medical services there, could my mom get service there too as his spouse?
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

No, spouses are not eligible

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast