Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by minnie-zb View Post
    I haven't had this problem either, but I would say I have people come to our house. I only schedule them when my husband or another adult is present, but this works well for me and it avoids me wasting time going to meet them somewhere.
    Me too. They can meet me in the parking lot at work (I work on Main St so it's very visible) or come to my home.

I did have someone get a whole furniture set packed and almost drove away without paying me...ugh!

brgnmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I haven't had problems with no-shows, but I've had spammers respond before and I just ignore them. I have only sold major items on CL though (crib, strollers) and the person who purchased the crib came over to our home when my Dh was there.

[QUOTE=twowhat?;3664776]yeah, I will only make final arrangements by phone and I ask the buyer to call as they are heading out (that's also when I give the final address - before that I only give an intersection).
    QUOTE]
    Ditto.
    I have ot do it this way because too many people just flake out on you. I cannot be standing around waiting for someone who never shows. This method seems to minimize that risk significantly.

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yep, I agree...phone number is key to weeding flaky people out. Sorry you've run into so many flakes! In all my years of selling/buying on CL, I have only had one person screw me (he told me to show up and then sold the item before I got there....yeah, he got an ear full from me!).
    Mommy to a total chatterbox
    DD now tells me she prefers to be known as a
    DD 10/08

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Yes, we've also had problem with no shows. I hate selling on CL. If you have Facebook and local friends, that is the best way to sell stuff. I sold at least $500 of big stuff before my garage sale last yr just through Facebook, which included out moms club group.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I have been mostly lucky with Craigslist. Some bad apples/flakes but mostly great.

I have noticed that there seems to be a critical mass that makes any city's CL profitable and useful to use as a seller. I used to sell things overnight on CL. Now, it has so many more folks that things sit for a bit and there seem to be more flakes and also more idiots.

Re the idiots: I the last week I have had someone show up to buy a green rain shell (not a warm coat) but was thinking it was a teal blue warm jacket. She asked why it didn't say shell but it was in the title, the text of the ad and the linked product information page from Northface. !? Then another woman thought the fridge I was selling was stainless when the ad and the pictures clearly say and show that it is black. Again, ?!
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

lcarlson90 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I haven't had no shows but I have probably only sold on Craigslist 5 times. I frequently have people email saying they are interested and want to meet but then they never follow up with another email.
    Gavin 7.30.08
    Dylan 2.24.05

mom3boys is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I've sold a lot on Craigslist, that # of no shows seems high. I've definitely had people seem interested and then just stop replying. I have had a couple of no shows (one was for a fairly expensive stroller), but I almost always have them come pick up at my house so at least if they don't show up it's slightly less annoying!

I hope I represent a "good" CL buyer. I always show up if I say I will, or call/text the person if I am delayed for some reason.
    M, Mom to 3 handsome boys, '06, '08, '11

I've sold about 20 things on Craigslist and almost no no shows - maybe 1-2.
    I have, though, had a TON of people write enthusiastically, then respond to my follow up, and then somehow flake out and not write again, even to say that they were no longer interested - however, although it was annoying, it did not waste my time.
    I, too, email and then talk by phone, so maybe you could try that?
    Sorry they keep standing you up, what a pain.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2