Default DD needs flu shot - is her runny nose a problem?

I don't want to argue whether or not to get the flu shot at all. She WILL be getting it at some point. We have friends with immunity issues and believe the flu shot is beneficial.

Frankly, it looks like the flu is already getting problematic in Southern states and I really don't want to wait any longer. We are going out of town next week and the time to get vaccinated is now. But, DD has been battling a cold for weeks. I thought she was better, but in reality is still sporting a runny nose. Should we wait, or just go ahead and get it?
    Mom to DD - my thriving preemie - Jan 2009

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My pedi says as long as they don't have a fever, it is okay to get it. Both my boys got it, and the one had a runny nose. I would double check with your pedi office to see what they say.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Agree with PP. Our ped says a cold is fine.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I'd do it no worries
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

My pedi says that same thing as PP.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Colds, no fever - fine IF you are doing the flu shot.

If you are doing Flumist, wait until cold symptoms have resolved (snot, etc in the nose can interfere with virus binding).

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

i've done it before with no probs. i think i even posted a thread here asking same question, last year. both kiddos were recovering from colds (no fever) but they had flu shots as scheduled...we didn't have any problems. havent' done flumist yet.

and thanks for the reminder that *I* need to go and get flu shot..i am recovering from a cold now and seeing how bad that is alone i really dont want to risk getting the flui. I was quick to get the kids to get it, but i forgot about me, lol.