Default charlie's soap questions

DD's allergist is having us switch from free and clear to charlie's soap. We have a double capacity HE washer. Here are my questions:

1. - Is one scoop really enough for a double capacity washer??

2. - do you still use vinegar as a rinse agent with charlie's?

3. - I always use oxiclean with my regular detergent. The Dr said to stop this - what do you use for stain removal??

Thanks!!

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I have the large capacity washer and i use 2 scoops for a full load
    No vinegar wash I dont need it
    I treat stains individually with oxyclean liquid or dawn
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

queenmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

For stains, maybe try Bac Out... Or maybe 7th Generation or Mrs. Meyers. Did the allergist not have any recommendations? I just hate suggesting something that would be bad!

For HE machines, yes, I'm guessing one scoop is enough. I use two scoops of soap in a non-HE machine.

And I see no reason to eliminate the vinegar. I've heard conflicting things about whether it's good for hard water, but never anything that would lead me to believe it irritates.

Lara
    Mama to Henry (6/2000) and Agnes (4/2012)
    old school member of the BBB

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I treat stains individually with oxyclean. I don't have a double capacity washer, but I rarely use a full scoop in regular loads. Only for towels and rags. For clothes I use a little over half a scoop. I do sometimes use vinegar if I have it around.

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I use it for cloth diapers. 1/2 of a scoop for a large load of diapers still produces a fair amount of soap bubbles. I tried the one scoop as they suggested after doing the full cycles with just Charlie's Soap and I found it didn't clean my clothes my well. I never tried two scoops. We have semi hard water though so I think in general (based on comments I have read here and on diaper swappers) it works better with soft water.

I don't use vinegar either. I also pre treat on my own most of the time although sometimes I will ad a scoop of Oxiclean to the wash. I prefer the Baby Oxiclean. I use Oxiclean, classic Spray N Wash, Fels Naptha soap, or Bac Out for pre treating.

Why would the allergist want you to change? We don't see an allergist so maybe I am completely off base in asking why?, but I have über sensitive skin and have always done fine with pretty much every detergent on the market except regular Tide.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 12-21-2012 at 10:36 AM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    I use it for cloth diapers. 1/2 of a scoop for a large load of diapers still produces a fair amount of soap bubbles. I tried the one scoop as they suggested after doing the full cycles with just Charlie's Soap and I found it didn't clean my clothes my well. I never tried two scoops. We have semi hard water though so I think in general (based on comments I have read here and on diaper swappers) it works better with soft water.

I don't use vinegar either. I also pre treat on my own most of the time although sometimes I will ad a scoop of Oxiclean to the wash. I prefer the Baby Oxiclean. I use Oxiclean, classic Spray N Wash, Fels Naptha soap, or Bac Out for pre treating.

Why would the allergist want you to change? We don't see an allergist so maybe I am completely off base in asking why?, but I have über sensitive skin and have always done fine with pretty much every detergent on the market except regular Tide.
    Tide has lots of chemicals in it that can irritate skin. Charlie's soap is more naturally based and is purported to be get out of clothes better and rinse cleaner than most other detergents.

A lot of people with sensitive skin do get irritated by detergents, which are a common irritant/allergen. This is probably why the allergist wants them to change. If someone is sensitive to a detergent, it is basically in contact with their skin all the time (clothes, sheets, etc.).

hillview is online now Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    I have the large capacity washer and i use 2 scoops for a full load
    No vinegar wash I dont need it
    I treat stains individually with oxyclean liquid or dawn
    I have a HE washer but don't think it is a 2x capacity one -- it does fit a TON. I use one scoop. No vinegar here either. I also treat stains (maybe 3x a year?) with oxyclean but we don't have allergies here. LOVE Charlies!
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Thanks everyone!!!

I am trying the charlie's now, just one scoop, and starting with towels and will see how it goes from there. The PP is correct about the uspecting the detergents are also irritating my DD skin. Her eczema has never been worse and we are eliminating so much (including gluten, which will be the subject of another post!)

Switching to Charlie's helped my DD's eczema a lot! We have now switched to 7th Generation and 7th generation stain spray.