Our previous nanny left after almost 2 years for a full time job with health insurance. She gave us only 2 weeks but we found a new nanny through care.com. She had 5 references, all glowing and completely amazing. One of her references was her current boss, a pastor. She was his admin and also helped run their youth program with her husband, who is the church's youth pastor. We were so happy with our choice since we really wanted someone who held similar religious values. She emailed etc. several times since accepting the job about how thrilled she was to be working with us. The last I heard from her was Saturday when she emailed confirming her start time, which was today at 8 a.m. Well yesterday at 3 p.m. I received an email sent through care.com saying she was sorry but she decided to go in a different direction and no longer was accepting the job. I attempted to reply but she had closed her care.com account. I called her cell phone and left a very nice message asking her to give me a few minutes of her time to talk as her email was very perplexing in light of all of our conversations. Last night I emailed her personal email explaining how I was very upset that she accepted the job over 2 weeks ago and then did this. Our 3 year old was excited for her play date with her today. Now after losing her grand pop in September and her best friend/nanny a few weeks ago, the new nanny just isn't coming. So I doubt she will respond to my email. BUT I really want to call her references, specifically her current one, the pastor and let him know the woman of Christian character that he so highly recommended and who is responsible for running their youth program acted in such a dishonest manner. Is that highly inappropriate? Could it get me in trouble in anyway? This woman is college educated and 4 families raved her so I just don't understand how she can act this way nor feel it is fair to future families who may hire her and have this happen.