Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    queenmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I've started doing warm rinses (pre- and post-wash, and pre-rinse is actually a full wash cycle without soap) rather than cold. Supposedly it helps? I haven't noticed a tremendous difference yet...

Another thing to try is more soap. It might be that simple! Do an additional rinse if you need to get it all out.

The sun is a miraculous thing, though. It'll get out stains and kill ickies, too. If you don't have a clothesline you can hang them in a window or even put them on the dashboard of your car. For stubborn poo in the gussets, try putting the dipes inside out over a tennis ball or baseball (you want to open up the elastic but not so much that it's straining or you'll wear it out faster), then set it in the sunshine.

Good luck!

Lara
    Mama to Henry (6/2000) and Agnes (4/2012)
    old school member of the BBB

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I used flushable liners to cut down on the poo in the actual diaper.

I have an LG front loader and used Rockin' Green with good results. In a pinch, I'm able to get WF's powder detergent.

My washer has a "water plus" setting to add more water to the wash cycle.

Then I did:

HOT or WARM "quick cycle", no soap, maybe baking soda and/or vinegar if the load was stinky

WARM/COLD or WARM/WARM, Cotton/Towels setting with 1 scoop RNG in prewash cup; 1 scoop in wash dispenser; HEAVY stain setting, extra rinse

1 more RINSE AND SPIN (COLD/COLD)

I do not have hard water, though, so maybe this won't work for you?
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

mmommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My guess is your trouble is the hard water + the HE washer not using enough water. I'd try a water softener, adding a wet towel to the load to make it heavier so the washer will add more water, and a bit more detergent.
    Good luck - sounds frustrating!
    To keep things easiest wash-wise here I use all flats and Flip covers. Just padfolding keeps the routine simple, and they always wash up really easily. Just wanted to mention this in case you'd like to keep CDing but find the need to change up your stash. But I see no shame in throwing in the towel if CDing isn't working for you - these choices are great if they're working for you, but if doing the laundry gets too complicated, who has the time, right?

I always did warm rinses and soaked the dipes for a good 2-3 hours before washing to remove any stuck on poop which doesn't get removed in the rinse. I have hard water and add some baking soda also helped.
    DS1 - 08
    DS2 - 11

boltfam is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I have a front loader too and was having problems. What works for me is to add a wet towel to the initial rinse cycle, wash cycle, and last rinse cycle. If your diapers aren't getting clean and don't have build up, I would try a little more detergent. Rocking green works best for us and our hard water. Good luck!

I would also second PP's advice Of using flips covers and prefolds. I have far less problems with those than with my pocket dipes.
    Last edited by boltfam; 01-16-2013 at 01:23 PM.

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I only use prefolds and pul covers, but have cd'd three children with a front loader.

The key for me is running a double wash cycle. I do back to back hot washes with extra rinses. Just a single heavy duty wash cycle is insufficient for getting them clean enough.

Sent from my phone using Swift Key Flow
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

boltfam is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Katigre View Post
    I only use prefolds and pul covers, but have cd'd three children with a front loader.

The key for me is running a double wash cycle. I do back to back hot washes with extra rinses. Just a single heavy duty wash cycle is insufficient for getting them clean enough.

Sent from my phone using Swift Key Flow

maiaann is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm sorry you're having trouble. I LOVED our CD! We used the old-fashioned Chinese prefolds with wraps (never liked AIOs) and never had any trouble with stains. That was with 3 kids over a span of 10 years, too. We just did a pre-wash (hot water), normal wash (hot water), & used regular Tide detergent. I inspected for stains after washing - if they had a stain, I hung dry that particular diaper, otherwise the load went in the dryer.
    DD1 10/01
    DD2 02/07
    DD3 07/09

jam224 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

If EBF poo is getting "stuck" in the gussets, is there a way that you can let out the elastic for washing? I use FuzziBunz OS diapers and the elastic is adjustable, so when DD had EBF poo and it was a particularly messy diaper, I always let out the elastic before throwing the diaper in the diaper pail. Yes, it was an added step to my routine, but it was easy enough to let out & re-size after washing. (FWIW my washer is a front-loading LG.)

Stains aren't necessarily an indicator of cleanliness, but if it bothers you, try sunning them. Here's a good before and after comparison I found via Google: http://www.pistachioproject.com/2012...er-of-sun.html.

Otherwise, maybe try a warm rinse first, instead of cold? I would hesitate before using vinegar. This article says it can react with hard water and I know FB discourages it because it can be harsh on elastic.

Good luck! I hope you get it figured out! I know it's a bit of trial-and-error to figure out a system that works!
    Jennifer
    SAHM to DD1 (11yo) and DD2 (5yo)

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

For the water issue, I always set my FL on the highest water level setting but even then that sometimes wasn't enough. One trick is to put the dipes in the washer, and add a gallon or so of water, let the dipes soak it up, and THEN start the washer (using the highest water setting).

The way FL clean clothes is by lifting and splashing them into a small amount of water (the "smack" from the clothes hitting the surface area of the water helps shake stuff loose).

Good luck! We only cloth diapered for a few months as well and quit because for twins it's not as cost-effective (since we weren't going to have more kids) and DD2 was really sensitive to wetness and would get a rash very easily from just being wet...and disposables just do a much better job of locking away the moisture.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast