Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    kaharris83 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Comparison City Mini GT vs BOB Motion

I finally made it to REI today to check out the BOB Motion. I brought my City Mini GT into the store to check them out side by side. I didn't try them on any uneven terrain in the store of course so my impressions are based solely on the carpet and smooth concrete in the store. The pushes IMO are remarkably similar. Like I really couldn't tell a difference. Again maybe because we were inside and on the playground, in a field, etc it may feel different, but I'm not so sure. The difference in wheel size doesn't seem big enough to make much difference in push in non-smooth terrain. DH pointed out the BOB does have the rear shock absorbers that the GT lacks but in our trials that made no difference. With my 2.5yo the pushes felt identical. The GT seat sits higher than the BOB Motion and the handlebar on the GT is a little higher. The GT basket is easier to access. I didn't have a measuring device so I couldn't accurately measure the Motion seat but the 3 of us looking at it felt it looked smaller than the GT, shorter as well. The GT is a hair longer front to back, not a lot. The Motion doesn't have the back bar across it, so if you kick the City Mini while walking the Motion eliminates that problem. I used to kick my City Mini but I don't kick the GT, I think the adjustable handle bar of the GT eliminated that problem for me. They really are quite similar, the guy at REI thought BOB/Britax had developed the folding technology and was surprised to see another stroller so similar. The Motion's auto lock was trickier and more annoying than the GTs. My GTs doesn't actually work because the fabric gets in the way, which is good because I can flip it open 1 handed no problem when wearing the newb on my front. The Motion auto lock actually works and required two hands to get the stroller open and it was hard to do while wearing my little guy. The BOB handle bar is foam covered, the GT has a rubber covering. I prefer the rubber because I feel the foam doesn't last as well. Folded the City Mini GT was slightly larger than the Motion. The Motion canopy was a little smaller and only has 1 widow, the GT has 2 and is slightly longer. I think I was expecting more from the Motion and left somewhat disappointed. I don't think I'll get rid of my GT for it. They just felt too similar and the orange, navy, or black look doesn't thrill me. While the push was nice on the Motion, it wasn't Revo butter smooth.

DS1 July 2010
    DS2 November 2012

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Nice comparison. Did you feel there was a significant difference in the build quality between the 2?

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle View Post
    Nice comparison. Did you feel there was a significant difference in the build quality between the 2?
    They seemed similar in that respect too. The Motion didn't feel as sturdy and well built as my Duallie or my single Revo though, I haven't spent a lot of time playing with any Britax strollers so I can't comment on whether it felt B-Agile-y.
    DS1 July 2010
    DS2 November 2012

Hmmm... so you didn't really notice a difference in the push???
    Maybe it was my wishful thinking at REI
    I just don't love the gt push like I do the bee and the Revo. It's definitely a serious upgrade over the regular BJCM, but it's not as good as the bee. And there are still things that irk me about the bee.
    In the store I thought the motion pushed close to the Revo they had on display, but I had no kid in it... I am going to have to go back next weekend and try again. I'll bring my gt with...
    Last edited by poohbear; 01-27-2013 at 05:58 PM.

Thanks for the review. Great pics. I like the look of the orange a lot more than I thought I would, at least in your pics.

I think you can actually remove the lock on the GT entirely, if you don't want it. Just an FYI.

I hope they'll have a Motion on the floor when I go to get mine so I can try before I buy.

Quote Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
    Hmmm... so you didn't really notice a difference in the push???
    Maybe it was my wishful thinking at REI
    No I didn't. It felt like I was pushing the same stroller when I switched between the two. My DH, my dad, and the REI guy all pushed both and none of them felt there was a difference either.

To me what I love about my Revo push is the floaty, airy, bouncy, effortless glide which I think may be due in part to the larger wheels. The Motion didn't have that feel. I'm interested to hear your thoughts Poohbear when you bring your GT and a tester.

I'm by no means saying the Motion is a bad choice. To me it just didn't feel different from the GT. But all of it is kind of subjective.

ETA Those adapter slots, I guess for the carseat on the Motion were big and bulky.
    Last edited by kaharris83; 01-27-2013 at 06:19 PM.
    DS1 July 2010
    DS2 November 2012

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by kaharris83;

ETA Those adapter slots, I guess for the carseat on the Motion were big and bulky.
    Although the floor model didn't have them on, there are little covers that go into those slots so it will not have a huge open gap.

I didn't like my B Agile, and not sure I would want an air tire versions of it.

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Did you check the tire pressure on the motion? Floor models never seem to have enough air in the tires, which I think is a big part of the reason everyone is moving to foam.

So happy to be reading this. I have a GT, but I guess I have a wandering eye when it comes to strollers. I was considering upgrading to a Motion. Sounds like its not really worth it. DH will be pleased. (I'm still intrigued by the new MB Mini, though.)

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle View Post
    Did you check the tire pressure on the motion? Floor models never seem to have enough air in the tires, which I think is a big part of the reason everyone is moving to foam.
    They felt like they were properly inflated and the salesman said they had checked them and they were right.
    DS1 July 2010
    DS2 November 2012

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast