Default Anyone familiar with Oxford Prep Academy (SoCal)?

Oxford Prep Academy is trying to get approval to start a charter school in Carlsbad, CA. Anyone heard of them? They have several campuses around SoCal. They have a meeting tonight and I am wondering if it is worth my time to go.
    Last edited by crayonblue; 02-11-2013 at 06:14 PM.

sariana is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The one in Mission Viejo has been hugely controversial, but I think that mostly had to do with campus-sharing issues. Most of the parent comments I have seen have been positive, I think, but other members of the community have been upset.

There have been articles about it in the Patch. Try Googling Mission Viejo Patch and then putting the full name and/or OPA in the search feature there.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I think I read somewhere last week that they have some of the highest test scores in Orange County, but it is very hard to get in from what I understand. Heck, I'd probably go even though it would be a pretty slim change we'd move DD1 from her current school, but I like knowing about other educational opportunities and that kind of thing in my area. IMHO it can't hurt to be informed.

Here is their Admission FAQ page for Mission Viejo:
    http://soc.oxfordchampions.org/page/admissions-faq
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

My mother-in-law and I went to the meeting with another friend. Interesting information. My MIL is a former teacher/principal so I really wanted her thoughts. We are going to go visit their SOC campus and see what we think.

Their data looks fantastic but they are only two years old. So, the question is does their data reflect the fact that parents with highly academic performing children chose to send their kids to this school and started out with high scores or have the kids' scores increased since going to Oxford.

Definitely worth looking into!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Glad you went to the meeting. I would have the same concerns or wonders about the test scores as well since they have a lottery for admission so any student with any educational ability can apply.

FWIW, they use the same uniform company as my DD1's school, Vicki Marsha Uniforms and the quality is great (except the light colored polo, and PE shirts get a little dirty and don't stay as clean as the royal blue one DD1 wore in kindergarten). They had a big OPA display in their store. Here is their list for OPA. I assume they would use the same uniform company.
    http://www.vickimarsha.com/media/sch...ms/OPA2011.pdf
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

There is a lot of controversy about the Mission Viejo OPA's test scores. I don't know enough about the situation (we're in the next district over) to form an opinion, but I would recommend looking up some of the articles about the school so that you have the information for yourself.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Quote Originally Posted by sariana View Post
    There is a lot of controversy about the Mission Viejo OPA's test scores. I don't know enough about the situation (we're in the next district over) to form an opinion, but I would recommend looking up some of the articles about the school so that you have the information for yourself.
    I googled and found this: http://missionviejo.patch.com/articl...-to-see-report

Dr. Farley's statement: "As you know we concluded an investigation into allegations that there were some forms of testing impropriety at Oxford Preparatory Academy and the findings have determined that was not the case and in actuality the school earned its API score of 993. I think it’s appropriate as a district that we officially apologize for any, whatever, misinformation or animosity or concern that this investigation raised for Oxford. I would point out that we would do the same investigation and have in the past when similar allegations were made at our own schools and that has happened. But at this point I think it’s important to acknowledge that this is a strong instructional program with a very high API score that it earned. That was really the purpose of this item on the agenda."

That's all I can find. Is that the controversy you were referring to? I'm kind of leery of the whole thing but we have to find a different situation for DD1 next year.

codex57 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

What's controversial? That they scored a high score?

Because of the schools I went to, seems very plausible. Get a bunch of motivated parents, who likely have provided tutoring to their kids since preschool, and it's easy to have all of them advanced in the subjects the state tests for.

Any magnet school tests very well cuz its students are all picked from the best beforehand.

Elementary tends to be easier to score well. My high school scored something like 988 last year so if a high school can score that, I see no reason why an elementary can't beat it.

Quote Originally Posted by crayonblue View Post
    I googled and found this: http://missionviejo.patch.com/articl...-to-see-report

Dr. Farley's statement: "As you know we concluded an investigation into allegations that there were some forms of testing impropriety at Oxford Preparatory Academy and the findings have determined that was not the case and in actuality the school earned its API score of 993. I think it’s appropriate as a district that we officially apologize for any, whatever, misinformation or animosity or concern that this investigation raised for Oxford. I would point out that we would do the same investigation and have in the past when similar allegations were made at our own schools and that has happened. But at this point I think it’s important to acknowledge that this is a strong instructional program with a very high API score that it earned. That was really the purpose of this item on the agenda."

That's all I can find. Is that the controversy you were referring to? I'm kind of leery of the whole thing but we have to find a different situation for DD1 next year.
    That's one of the articles, yes. I don't live in that school district or that city; we just get some of their articles on our Patch. So I don't know the whole sequence of events. I just recognized the name of the school from your title.

I would not be surprised if the score is legitimate. That community tends to have high scores in general, and those who would choose to get involved with a new charter likely would be the motivated families whose children are high achievers. I just thought it was a good idea to let you know that there was some controversy so that you could make your own assessments.

IME, charter schools tend to be as strong as the families who support them. So a motivated community likely will support an excellent charter. Carlsbad is a nice area surrounded by strong public school districts. So it is likely that a charter established there will be quite successful.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Quote Originally Posted by sariana View Post
    IME, charter schools tend to be as strong as the families who support them. So a motivated community likely will support an excellent charter. Carlsbad is a nice area surrounded by strong public school districts. So it is likely that a charter established there will be quite successful.
    I agree and we will be watching to see what happens with this charter. I would LOVE for DD1 to have a better school option and us not have to pick up and move specifically for school but we will if we have to.