chozen is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Would like to get a carrier. Which one? Moby,mei tai?

I am very tall and want a carrier that hopefully will not cause my back to hurt. Any suggestions? It would not be used for nursing (Adopting) i would like to use it from birth to 7 mo. Old or so.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'd look at something that does 2-shoulder carries, but I wouldn't recommend a Moby or other jersey stretchy wrap for use much beyond the "squishy" stage. They don't feel as supportive for babies larger than 15-ish lbs, and, well, at 7 months, my DD was around 19-20lbs, so we were learning back carries in my Ergo at 8 and 9 months!

My first pick would be a woven or hybrid wrap with the 2nd preference being a mei tai, only because I've never used a mei tei (though I wanted one in the worst way when I was first researching carriers - DH put the kibosh on it because the tying-only thing scared him. Men.)

Do you have any idea when your adoption placement might come through?

The time of year, how sweaty you get and what the seasons are like where you live kind of bias me towards one or another fabric type.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have a Beco Gemini and I LOVE it, so does DD, it's her favorite since birth (doesn't need an infant insert for newborns).

I also have a Moby wrap, a Baby K'tan, a Hotsling (the older model, I've had it since DS) and a ring sling.

I like the Moby and the Baby K'tan for the first months (DD hated swaddling and having her legs in, so she started being OK in them once I let her have her legs out). But once the baby is heavier they're not as comfy (since they're a stretchy fabric), if you want it to last longer look for a non-stretchy fabric. The Hotsling is always rolled up in our diaper bag, so I can pull it out whenever I need it, I like it better from 3 months up, but it's not as versatile as the wrap or the Beco. I haven't mastered the ring sling, but it's also pretty versatile.

I have a bad back, so I prefer things that go over both my shoulders, and the Beco's padded waist strap is also a Godsend. I can barely feel DD's weight in it, and can be used parent-facing, forward, facing, hip-carry and back carry.

I've always wanted to try a Mei tai. But of the ones I've tried I really recommend the Beco Gemini.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

Oh - edurnemk's post reminded me:

The Gemini has a "waist" support belt built into the carrier; most mei tei carriers do not have this. It is also a buckle carrier, so, for a lot of DHs, it feels more "secure" ... it's also very familiar to use as it "behaves" like a backpack.

The advantage to the support belt, which should ideally be low-slung on your hips rather than your waist, is that it helps to re-distribute Baby's weight to your hips rather than putting strain on your back & shoulders.

Other options are the Pikkolo (does not have a built-in belt, but they sell one as an after-market accessory) by Catbird baby and the Ergo, but I don't like the Ergo until about 5-ish months.

Hope this helps!!!
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I loved having the Moby for the first couple months. DS was kind of on the small side (6lb. 4oz.) and was a spring baby born in April. I used it constantly for the first couple months (I mean, all the time). Then it basically got too hot for me to take it (Deep South here). Now I use my Beco Butterfly II all the time.

I would really suggest buying more than one

For the newbie stage I love the Wrapsody Bali Baby Strech. It is a lighter, longer lasting, much prettier moby style wrap. I bought two and at 5 months still wear DD daily. They are more expensive than a moby but hold value really, really well. I will have no problem selling for $10 less than I paid.

As baby gets bigger I love MTs and SSCs. My top SSC pick would be a Kinderpack. I would go infant adjustable for a baby less than a year and probably plus straps if you are tall. (I didn't love the Std size until about 18 months) I have tried ALOT of carriers and KP is hands down my favorite.

If you really only want to buy one carrier I would suggest a Beco butterfly as they have a great attached newborn insert or an olives and applesauce for the same reason.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    Dena

Super Crunchy Mama to:
    ('06) The big guy

('09) The little guy

('12) and the diva

Learning to live with MSPI, FPIES and Food Allergies.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I would recommend something like the Pikkolo - which is a structured carrier that can be used from birth and up. I used it with a small infant from 0-12 months. Very easy to use, very adjustable for all heights. I got mine at frogmama.com

for Sandy Hook

Quote Originally Posted by Jacksmommy2b View Post
    .. My top SSC pick would be a Kinderpack. I would go infant adjustable for a baby less than a year and probably plus straps if you are tall. (I didn't love the Std size until about 18 months) I have tried ALOT of carriers and KP is hands down my favorite.

I have a KP Toddler and I'm 5'8"

I didn't order the PL straps and I did fine. I don't think you necessarily need longer straps unless you're super-fluffy as well as tall.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    I didn't order the PL straps and I did fine. I don't think you necessarily need longer straps unless you're super-fluffy as well as tall.
    Kinderpacks have "perfect fit" adjusters on them now so you really have nothing to lose by buying the plus straps. You can cinch them down to even shorter than standard with the adjusters if you prefer.

Loved my pikkolo. Also loved my freehand mei tei. Did not like the stretchy wrap at all, too much fabric for me to deal with. Ergos are good, but I couldn't get it to work until dd was about seven months old.

Catherine