Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Crib / Stroller for Disabled Soon-to-be Mom?

I have bad arthritis in my spine, which makes it difficult to bend from the waist and pick up heavy things - exactly what cribs make you do! I usually squat to pick things up instead of bending over, so a crib that has a side that opens completely would be perfect (if it was higher than normal so I didn't have to squat, it would be ideal!), but I can't seem to find anything online. There are a couple that keep popping up here and there on disability chat boards but they seem to be discontinued. I can't be the only disabled mom-to-be out there, but there doesn't seem to be any options. I'm hoping to have more than 1 kid, so durability is important, and price isn't really an issue. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Extra points if you can recommend a light weight stroller where the baby sits higher then normal for less bending over and lifting - I live in the suburbs, so lots of lifting in and out of the car, but no trail running or anything like that, just mall walking. It would be nice if the stroller had a feature where it lies flat like a bassinet for naps on the go. Thanks so much!

-Bunny

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

A drop side crib with solid, metal hardware from a quality brand is probably your best bet. Unfortunately they are no longer officially new or secondhand sold because of the ban but there are still plenty in circulation. Definitely avoid anything with flimsy hardware and triple check for correct assembly.

Eta:some history. http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=3517471
    It's a contentious topic. Personally I chose a solid side crib and shopped around to find a really low profile one because I'm short. But in your health situation I don't know that even a low profile crib will do the trick and in your shoes I would consider and research the heck out of drop side cribs assuming you can get one with a known history.
    Last edited by mikala; 02-28-2013 at 03:44 PM.

I'd look into drop-gate cribs like this http://www.usababy.com/baby-cribs-ba...n-espresso.htm
    DD1 Jan '10
    DD2 Jan '12

I think it is Stokke that makes a stroller where baby sits super high.

eta: http://www.stokke.com/en-us/stroller/stokke-xplory/product-information.aspx

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    Dena

Super Crunchy Mama to:
    ('06) The big guy

('09) The little guy

('12) and the diva

Learning to live with MSPI, FPIES and Food Allergies.

Jupiter is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I recently bought the click connect carseat and their new stroller. You can easily remove the seat and use it just with the carseat. This might help you get the baby to the car and where ever else easily. There is a large easy access basket underneath. Ad the regular seat is reversible and I believe is lies flat and turns into a bassinet. The whole thing is very light.
    early arrival on 2/3/13

gamma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

If you read Strollerqueen's stroller reviews she lists "seat to floor" as one of her measurements, which stroller manufacturers don't do. I have back issues and find the info so helpful. She is so knowledgable in regard to what is available both old and new that has the features that you specifically need. She does stroller consultations, which are reasonable and would probably be worth it for you.

AshleyAnn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mikala View Post
    A drop side crib with solid, metal hardware from a quality brand is probably your best bet. Unfortunately they are no longer officially new or secondhand sold because of the ban but there are still plenty in circulation. Definitely avoid anything with flimsy hardware and triple check for correct assembly.
    I agree. DD sleeps in an older metal dropside bed and it is SOLID and safe. I would not trust any dropside with plastic hardware but I have no problem suggesting a metal drop.

I do not like the drop gate style cribs. It creates an easy foothold for a climber to jump to freedom.

There used to be a manufacturer who specialized in safety equipment and made a crib that had a door that opened in the side. I dont recall much about it but let me google. It would elimate lifting entirely.

ETA - The crib I mentioned above is by a brand called Babee Tenda, they dont appear to make it anymore but you maybe able to find it in stock somewhere if youre interested in it.
    Last edited by AshleyAnn; 03-03-2013 at 02:10 PM.

jbbhb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I know they are really not cute, but I immediately thought of the cribs that we use at the hospital where I work. The bed area is the perfect height so that you wouldn't have to bend at all to get the baby in the crib. The sides raise and lower with a squeeze of your hand. They are pricey but would last...

http://www.universalmedicalinc.com/P...hers-s/224.htm

Default Thank you!

Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions! To be honest, I'm still not sure what I'm going to do. I'm not really comfortable getting a used drop side crib, and even though hospital cribs are allowed to have the drop sides because they are classified as medical devices, the FDA (which regulates them) seems pretty concerned about it. They are formulating new rules as we speak. I took a look at a drop gate crib in the store, and it really wasn't enough of a change to warrant getting it (especially after the scare-you-to-death stories of kids using the ledge as a foot hold to climb out). I found a carpenter who has made a modified crib before, but again, I don't know how you can guarantee the safety of something essentially home made.

I'm feeling like there aren't any really good choices out there, so I'm going to have to compromise on safety somehow I guess.

-Bunny

Smile Strollerqueen

Quote Originally Posted by gamma View Post
    If you read Strollerqueen's stroller reviews she lists "seat to floor" as one of her measurements, which stroller manufacturers don't do. I have back issues and find the info so helpful. She is so knowledgable in regard to what is available both old and new that has the features that you specifically need. She does stroller consultations, which are reasonable and would probably be worth it for you.
    Great recommendation, I am totally going to get the consultation! Less than $40 and I don't have to do 30 hours of research? Sign me up! Thanks for the tip!
    -Bunny

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast