Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

This may be something to consider....

As a small infant, our DS slept in a bassinet for almost four months. There was only a small window - about four months after that - that he slept in his crib before he was sitting up and putting his arms up for me (so I didn't have to bend as much). I just had to "deal" for that time window. Not a great solution; but we never did find a great solution!

In any case, a bassinet might help, and it might give you time to find a better answer!

Also - this sounds silly, but... when my mother came for an extended visit, we moved the crib to the center of the room. This made things so much easier, a real "duh!" moment... we could go to the side closest to the baby!

For the first few months, an Arms Reach Co-Sleeper could work well if you have room. It is the same height as the bed, a little shorter than a regular pack-n-play. The sleeping level, only until they really roll alot or pull up, is only a few inches down in to the frame. We did ours over on DH's side of the bed. He would attend to her immediately if I was physically unable (I had c-section recovery issues and also have nerve damage in my back).

For DD2, we used a Summer Infant bassinet which was up high enough that there was never any bending necessary. When she was Dx' d with reflux, we switched to a Rock-n-Play. It is pretty low, however, b/c it is open all around, unlike a crib, you aren't raising yourself up only to then lower yourself down and over a rail. Plus, I moved it all over the house, so I could access it when and where it was easiest for me (from bed, my comfy chair, etc).
    Last edited by amldaley; 03-13-2013 at 12:53 AM.
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

Smile Found a crib!!!

Exciting discovery! I found this crib made by a company that makes beds for disabled children:

http://babycribgertie.com

It's not available until April, and will be about $1500 supposedly, but it looks perfect. So excited!

Now I just need a pool, a cabana boy and a margarita and life will be complete! Thanks for all the great suggestions! I'll let you know how the crib works out - I'm not due until 9/5, so I've got a bit of time to go. Thanks again!
    -Bunny

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Would something like this work?
    http://www.babysdream.com/ViewCategory.aspx?cid=21
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I find that a footstool next to the crib makes the difference between struggling to lower a sleeping baby to the mattress and easily placing them down. Might be worth trying that in a store before committing to something far more expensive.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Although having something closer to the floor is not something you are looking for, the Lotus and GoCrib travel cribs open on the side with a zipper.
    Happy Healthy and Handsome DS 8/13

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Exciting discovery! I found this crib made by a company that makes beds for disabled children:

http://babycribgertie.com

It's not available until April, and will be about $1500 supposedly, but it looks perfect. So excited!

Now I just need a pool, a cabana boy and a margarita and life will be complete! Thanks for all the great suggestions! I'll let you know how the crib works out - I'm not due until 9/5, so I've got a bit of time to go. Thanks again!
    -Bunny
    that does look perfect...and still quite pretty. do let us know how it works out!

Spoke to the Gertie Crib people recently, they are making some (non-specified) changes, so it's now supposedly going to be available in June/July (not holding breath). Will keep you updated!

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Another idea is the PBK Kendall Low-Profile crib, which is only 35" high to the low rail.

http://www.potterybarnkids.com/produ.../?pkey=bcribs&
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

gamma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Still-in-Shock View Post
    Although having something closer to the floor is not something you are looking for, the Lotus and GoCrib travel cribs open on the side with a zipper.
    This might be a good option if you anchored it to a twin bed using rachet straps! It might place it at just the right height! I was wondering if you picked a stroller yet?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast