Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mikeys_mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default I completely underestimated DS's teacher

Since I've done a fair bit of complaining and asking for constructive advice on dealing with DS's teacher, it's only fair that I give praise when warranted.

DS was diagnosed with Aspergers and a NVLD earlier this year. He has also been identified as highly intellectually gifted. The teachers really did not know how to handle him and school (private) was really bad. On the advice of the dev ped we hired a shadow to work with DS 1:1. She has been helping both DS and the teachers by teaching everyone the proper methods and techniques to help DS manage in the classroom and learn more effectively.

The Hebrew teacher has been teaching for many years and her typical style really doesn't work well for DS. We had several meetings that went ok but I was not convinced that she "got" DS and how his mind works. I was anticipating an ongoing battle throughout the year. I spoke with the shadow yesterday and she says that the hebrew teacher and the assistant have completely embraced every.single.suggestion that was made to them and have been working really hard to help DS and use methods that work for him. She says the afternoons are going really smoothly now. She can tell that this style is outside the teacher's comfort zone but that the teacher told her she is so happy that when she adapts things for DS that he responds positively and can demonstrate his understanding of the material. I was blown away!

DH and I wrote a thank you email to both of them last night and are so happy that she put in the extra effort to help DS and that he is so much happier in school these days.
    DS - 10
    DD - 8
    Twin Girls - 6

knaidel is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

That is great news-- its nice to hear. I remember your post from the begining of the school year about your son's difficulties. And you know who else you should share it with? The administrators and any other supervisors!

My son is not having a great year with his Hebrew/Chumash teacher...I rcognize that not all years will be fabulous, and hoping that 3rd grade will be better!
    tax deduction #1: 12/04
    tax deduction #2: 11/07
    tax deduction #3: 11/12

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

That is such great news! I am so happy for your family!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

So wonderful to hear good news, about a teacher and kid whose mom works hard on his behalf too. Love the update.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm so happy to read this update! I remember your post from the beginning of the year. It sounds like the teacher is really a professional, committed to helping her students learn, but she just needed the tools. Great job, mama! You found someone who can help bring the pieces together for your DS.
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

lovin2shop is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Love reading updates like this, especially when it has to do with positive outcomes in schools and with teachers!

inmypjs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

That's great! So happy for your DS and you. It sounds like hiring the shadow was a great decision. I don't know if you've have this experience, but I think the teachers are more receptive when the ideas come from someone other than the parent. It sounds like you picked a great shadow and that she is doing a great job.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

thanks for posting gives me hope. Great news!
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

What great news!
    DD
    DS

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

That's awesome. Good teachers ROCK.

for Sandy Hook

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast