Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Aishe is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have had the 5200 for about a year and still use it several times a week. It's warming up here so we're drinking more smoothies again. Last summer we were using it multiple times a day and I expect this summer to be the same. I honestly can't understand the value of the presets. I mean, blending is not exactly rocket science, kwim? It's pretty obvious when a smoothie is, well, smooth. If the 7500 is quieter, that's what I would get. I don't know how the 5200 compares in terms of volume level, but I think it is LOUD. Quieter definitely would factor into my decision.

I finally bought one a few weeks ago after wanting one for so long. I kept telling myself that it was ridiculous to spend that much money on a blender. Since it was delivered I have used it at least once a day. Only for smoothies so far. I am just getting over the flu and don't feel like eating any meals. But I'm hungry and know I need to eat. So I have been making and eating smoothies with fruit and spinach that taste SO good and make me feel good. My old Oster blender that I got at my wedding shower back in '99 that I've been using all these years has nothing on the Vitamix. The spinach would never blend completely and my smooties were always chunky and watery. But with the Vitamix - WOW. I wish I hadn't waited so long. My Vitamix smoothies are so creamy without any chunks of anything. And it obliterates the ice making a nice thick (or thinner if I want) smoothie consistency. My very picky daughter is now drinking green smoothies (as long I put blueberries in so its purple instead of green.) She asks for them daily. And its so easy to clean - way easier than my old blender. Once I feel better I want to try other things - the cookbooks that came with it have so many great recipes.

I got the basic one from QVC when it was their "today's special value" for $399. What finally sold me was the interest free 5 monthly payments of $79.80 - that made it more acceptable in my mind to spend that much money on a blender. Plus I really wanted the turquoise color and initially ordered that but it was waitlisted so I switched my color choice the next day. So I went with the cinnamon color and I really like it.

I was worried about the basic high low switch - that I would be missing out with not having the variable speed. But I can't see how I would need it now after using it. I haven't used the dry container yet but plan too. And the shorter container has been fine as far as being big enough. Although today when I went to clean the container I put too much warm water in with soap. I turned it on low and water shot up through the sides of the lid and soapy water went all over the counter and floors. It was actually an easy way to clean the floor! But of course not intentional. As I was cleaning up I thought that probably wouldn't happen with the taller container or if I, duh, watched more closely the amount of water I put in. And I'm not quite sure if I put the lid on right because that really shouldn't happen...

I say go for it. I am really glad I did. And if you get one at Costco and don't like it - you can always return it.
    Michelle
    Mom to Quinn and Willa

OKKiddo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I bought the refurbished 6300--for the presets. The way I was looking at it was that I wanted super simplicity for each level of person using it...distracted Mommy, clueless Daddy, disinterested babysitter, confused grandparents, and with the projected life of the machine likely also well meaning child (my oldest is 6 years old).

I just got mine today and I don't think it's all that noisy at all (less noisy than my husband's new Starbucks coffee machine). I do however have to store it with the canister beside the base and pull it out to use it because of my low cabinets. :/

Quote Originally Posted by quinnsmom View Post
    I finally bought one a few weeks ago after wanting one for so long. I kept telling myself that it was ridiculous to spend that much money on a blender. Since it was delivered I have used it at least once a day. Only for smoothies so far. I am just getting over the flu and don't feel like eating any meals. But I'm hungry and know I need to eat. So I have been making and eating smoothies with fruit and spinach that taste SO good and make me feel good. My old Oster blender that I got at my wedding shower back in '99 that I've been using all these years has nothing on the Vitamix. The spinach would never blend completely and my smooties were always chunky and watery. But with the Vitamix - WOW. I wish I hadn't waited so long. My Vitamix smoothies are so creamy without any chunks of anything. And it obliterates the ice making a nice thick (or thinner if I want) smoothie consistency. My very picky daughter is now drinking green smoothies (as long I put blueberries in so its purple instead of green.) She asks for them daily. And its so easy to clean - way easier than my old blender. Once I feel better I want to try other things - the cookbooks that came with it have so many great recipes.

I got the basic one from QVC when it was their "today's special value" for $399. What finally sold me was the interest free 5 monthly payments of $79.80 - that made it more acceptable in my mind to spend that much money on a blender. Plus I really wanted the turquoise color and initially ordered that but it was waitlisted so I switched my color choice the next day. So I went with the cinnamon color and I really like it.

I was worried about the basic high low switch - that I would be missing out with not having the variable speed. But I can't see how I would need it now after using it. I haven't used the dry container yet but plan too. And the shorter container has been fine as far as being big enough. Although today when I went to clean the container I put too much warm water in with soap. I turned it on low and water shot up through the sides of the lid and soapy water went all over the counter and floors. It was actually an easy way to clean the floor! But of course not intentional. As I was cleaning up I thought that probably wouldn't happen with the taller container or if I, duh, watched more closely the amount of water I put in. And I'm not quite sure if I put the lid on right because that really shouldn't happen...

I say go for it. I am really glad I did. And if you get one at Costco and don't like it - you can always return it.
    Yes to all this. I like the shorter container just fine because it sits on my countertop. Used daily. Dd initially was excited about smoothies but doesn't actually drink them now. I still do and make them. Love it so much! I figure one day they will be drinking the smoothies too! And I am hoping to try to make bread with it.

I was also embarrassed at myself for spending what is literally more than 1/2 my mortgage payment on it but now I am so happy I have it. And I think the number 2 reason why I love it (number 1 being the amazing shakes) is the ease of cleaning. That makes me use it more than if it was a pita to clean.

Looking through the recipe book I do not see how I would NEED the one with the 1-10 settings but if you want to go all out and spend the money one time, go for it. You should just pick what you really want, buy it and don't look back. Money well spent.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Does anyone have a link for the Costco roadshows? I can't seem to find any dates or location information. TIA

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KLD313 View Post
    Not trying to hijack but has anyone owned one for awhile and still use it as much as you did in the beginning? I find I buy things and then the novelty wears off and it sits collecting dust.
    I definitely don't use ours as much. But not because of loss of novelty. Because my picky little sh!ts won't drink most of what I make in it, and the whole reason I got it was to get more fruits and veggies into them!!! However, I want to start up again at least to make stuff for DH and I.

Oh and to answer the OP, I got the cheaper one from Costco - $379 with just the 64 oz container, which spends most of its time on its side (it dries faster that way).

I think i have the cheapest, which is the 5200 something. Have had it a week, it has been great.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    Does anyone have a link for the Costco roadshows? I can't seem to find any dates or location information. TIA
    i got roadshow info from Vitamix website. most of the demos i see are at Costco, but there are some at Whole Foods too, and other events (fairs, etc). note this lists retailers as well (e.g. Bed Bath and Beyond), that usually do not have demos. it will say "live demo" next to the Costco ones

https://www.vitamix.com/Where-To-Buy...iler-Live-Demo

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    i got roadshow info from Vitamix website. most of the demos i see are at Costco, but there are some at Whole Foods too, and other events (fairs, etc). note this lists retailers as well (e.g. Bed Bath and Beyond), that usually do not have demos. it will say "live demo" next to the Costco ones

https://www.vitamix.com/Where-To-Buy...iler-Live-Demo
    Thanks - this was the link I was using but there aren't any Costco listed near me. I swear there was one listed for later in March but can't find it now. Wonder if they could have cancelled them. So odd....

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    Thanks - this was the link I was using but there aren't any Costco listed near me. I swear there was one listed for later in March but can't find it now. Wonder if they could have cancelled them. So odd....
    same here! i even put it in my iCal, so i'll remember...but now my nearest costco isn't showing any dates for the demo for this month, when i remember seeing it end of jan....so annoying....and now it looks like the next nearest Costco that stocks 6300 (the one i want) is 20 miles away till the 13th...so i guess i better go quick!
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast